Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Conversion Problems with Comsol 3.5a files

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I was running a simulation in Comsol 3.5a. But unfortunately, my licence was expired and we got a new Version to use (Comsol 4.0). I tried to open the file made in 3.5a with 4.0. What turned out is:

COMSOL Error
Syntax error in low-level element syntax representation.
Fatal error during assembly or evaluation
- Name: elvar

I have really no idea why that happens. I never had problems with version 3.5a

I tried also with version 3.5 to open the 3.5a, but there is the version conflict. 3.5 cannot open files higher versions. Is there maybe a converter implemented in 3.5a to make the file compatible with lower versions? Then I can ask a friend to back convert it. Otherwise, I cannot use the file anymore what would be a waste of time.

Would be nice, if someone could help me.

Many thanks

Cheers

4 Replies Last Post Aug 26, 2011, 2:39 a.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 19, 2010, 10:58 p.m. EDT
The Comsol folks say that version 4.0 is not fully compatible with 3.5a, but that 4.0a (note the "a" after the 4.0) can read in 3.5a files much better than 4.0. Since you have a 4.0 license, you should be able to obtain version 4.0a. I encourage you to do that. And make sure to download the very latest updates to that as well, at www.comsol.com/support/updates/ .
The Comsol folks say that version 4.0 is not fully compatible with 3.5a, but that 4.0a (note the "a" after the 4.0) can read in 3.5a files much better than 4.0. Since you have a 4.0 license, you should be able to obtain version 4.0a. I encourage you to do that. And make sure to download the very latest updates to that as well, at http://www.comsol.com/support/updates/ .

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 27, 2010, 4:47 a.m. EDT
I agree with Robert. Please use only use COMSOL 4.0a with any software updates added (www.comsol.com/support/updates/). If you find any more problems, after that, please contact technical support.

Niklas

I was running a simulation in Comsol 3.5a. But unfortunately, my licence was expired and we got a new Version to use (Comsol 4.0). I tried to open the file made in 3.5a with 4.0. What turned out is:

COMSOL Error
Syntax error in low-level element syntax representation.
Fatal error during assembly or evaluation
- Name: elvar

I have really no idea why that happens. I never had problems with version 3.5a

I tried also with version 3.5 to open the 3.5a, but there is the version conflict. 3.5 cannot open files higher versions. Is there maybe a converter implemented in 3.5a to make the file compatible with lower versions? Then I can ask a friend to back convert it. Otherwise, I cannot use the file anymore what would be a waste of time.

Would be nice, if someone could help me.

Many thanks

Cheers

I agree with Robert. Please use only use COMSOL 4.0a with any software updates added (http://www.comsol.com/support/updates/). If you find any more problems, after that, please contact technical support. Niklas [QUOTE] I was running a simulation in Comsol 3.5a. But unfortunately, my licence was expired and we got a new Version to use (Comsol 4.0). I tried to open the file made in 3.5a with 4.0. What turned out is: COMSOL Error Syntax error in low-level element syntax representation. Fatal error during assembly or evaluation - Name: elvar I have really no idea why that happens. I never had problems with version 3.5a I tried also with version 3.5 to open the 3.5a, but there is the version conflict. 3.5 cannot open files higher versions. Is there maybe a converter implemented in 3.5a to make the file compatible with lower versions? Then I can ask a friend to back convert it. Otherwise, I cannot use the file anymore what would be a waste of time. Would be nice, if someone could help me. Many thanks Cheers [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 1, 2010, 7:16 a.m. EDT
Hello,

I already updated to 4.0a but there is a message 'Opening models made in versions before COMSOL 3.5a it not supported' popping up when I was trying to open a file.

My Comsol version is 4.0.0.993 and I was wandering the model was built long time ago.

It there any way to open it?

Many thanks.
Hello, I already updated to 4.0a but there is a message 'Opening models made in versions before COMSOL 3.5a it not supported' popping up when I was trying to open a file. My Comsol version is 4.0.0.993 and I was wandering the model was built long time ago. It there any way to open it? Many thanks.

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 26, 2011, 2:39 a.m. EDT

Hello,

I already updated to 4.0a but there is a message 'Opening models made in versions before COMSOL 3.5a it not supported' popping up when I was trying to open a file.

My Comsol version is 4.0.0.993 and I was wandering the model was built long time ago.

It there any way to open it?

Many thanks.

Same probleme here.
Can anybody help me?
[QUOTE] Hello, I already updated to 4.0a but there is a message 'Opening models made in versions before COMSOL 3.5a it not supported' popping up when I was trying to open a file. My Comsol version is 4.0.0.993 and I was wandering the model was built long time ago. It there any way to open it? Many thanks. [/QUOTE] Same probleme here. Can anybody help me?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.