Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to define ramp force

nagamalleswara rao alluri

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hai all,

i want, how to define ramp force with in a fixed time(means with in 6 seconds).

if any one knows please help me, it's very helpful to my project.

Nagamalli

4 Replies Last Post Apr 11, 2010, 12:57 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 7, 2010, 1:09 p.m. EDT
Hi

if you define a boandyry load such as Fx=DF*t then you have a ramping force, with scale "DF[N/s]", if you want it to stop after 6 seconds a Fx=DF*t*(t<=6) will do, but then you have some nice spikes that might give you some solver convergence issues, to be tested out, try to set a small time intervalle around the abrupt stop.

Better you can smoothen with a heaviside function search the doc for "flc1h" or a combination of cos or sin functions (to ensure a couple of continuous derivatives), this often helps for the solver convergence

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi if you define a boandyry load such as Fx=DF*t then you have a ramping force, with scale "DF[N/s]", if you want it to stop after 6 seconds a Fx=DF*t*(t

nagamalleswara rao alluri

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 8, 2010, 1:35 p.m. EDT

Thanks for the response Ivar

Actually i am applying ramp force 1MN to 30MN with in 6 seconds.

is it possible to give the force with this function Fx=DF*t*(t<=6)

what i am saying is what is the meaning of DF*t* , i couldn't understand.

if possible, could explain clearly.........t is time

and DF means is it a function(like F=ma)?

Nagamalli
Thanks for the response Ivar Actually i am applying ramp force 1MN to 30MN with in 6 seconds. is it possible to give the force with this function Fx=DF*t*(t

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 9, 2010, 1:23 a.m. EDT
Hi

Wellif I understand you correctyl youre force expression is something like

F[MN] = 1[MN]+(30-1)[MN]/(6[s])*t

with this formula you must stp your simulation after 6 seconds, because your force will continue to ramp.

Make a "function" out of this an use the plot functionality to check its shape and values.

If your simulation is to last > 6 sec, but you want to saturate at 30[MN] I would write:

F[MN] = 1[MN]+(30-1)[MN]*min(t/6,1)

does this help ?

HAve fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi Wellif I understand you correctyl youre force expression is something like F[MN] = 1[MN]+(30-1)[MN]/(6[s])*t with this formula you must stp your simulation after 6 seconds, because your force will continue to ramp. Make a "function" out of this an use the plot functionality to check its shape and values. If your simulation is to last > 6 sec, but you want to saturate at 30[MN] I would write: F[MN] = 1[MN]+(30-1)[MN]*min(t/6,1) does this help ? HAve fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 11, 2010, 12:57 p.m. EDT

Thanks Ivar.

this should be useful my project.

Nagamalli
Thanks Ivar. this should be useful my project. Nagamalli

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.