Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Uniform 2d Magnetic Field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to model the magnetic field around a pipeline in which an electric current flows. I want there to be a uniform magnetic field in the background in the y direction, if the pipeline and it's current are in the z direction.

I can get a nearly uniform field by drawing an air filled square around the cylinder and defining a magnetic field on the left and right boundaries (H0 in y dirn, so B.C. n x H = n1 x H1 are on L and R), and I have magnetic insulation on the top and bottom (Im working in 2D).

If i make the square large this approximates a uniform field around the region of the pipe in the centre but is there a way to improve this and have a perfectly uniform field? Please see the attached file made with COMSOL 4.3b if my description was not clear.

1 Reply Last Post Oct 7, 2013, 2:50 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 7, 2013, 2:50 a.m. EDT
Hi,

for a uniform flux density at the surface you can use boundary condition on the
vector potential like
Az = -Bexty*x
e.g. a as "Pointwise Constraint". This setting simulates a homogeneous flux
density in the the outside world.

Maybe this is already what you need.

Regards

Jens

Hi, for a uniform flux density at the surface you can use boundary condition on the vector potential like Az = -Bexty*x e.g. a as "Pointwise Constraint". This setting simulates a homogeneous flux density in the the outside world. Maybe this is already what you need. Regards Jens

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.