Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling a Sliding Constraint

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model a sliding constraint, basically a pin in a hole.

To try to understand how best to apply the contraints I created a simple model of a tube and rod. The tube and rode are both 1 m long, the rod is inserted .1m into the tube the Tube ID and Rod OD are the same. I fix the free ends of the tube and rod. Then I run an Eigenfrequency study on the assembly.

If the geometry is a union (or assembly with continuity at the sliding interface), the first mode of the two parts is as expected a single wave bow of the system.
If the geometry is an assembly with a roller pair at the sliding interface, the model behaves as if the roller is fixed in space. i.e. the area where the rod is in the tube does not deflect. Rather the first couple modes are of the rod bowing then the tube bowing.

So how does one model a sliding contraint that can move with the surrounding geometry?

I have attached a version 4.3a model that I have been querying. Switch between the continuity 3 and Roller 1 constraint to see the differences as descriped above.

2 Replies Last Post Jan 31, 2013, 5:10 p.m. EST
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 31, 2013, 5:02 p.m. EST
Hi Roy, your model is not attached.
Hi Roy, your model is not attached.

Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 31, 2013, 5:10 p.m. EST
Nagi-

This is a duplicate post. See the thread that's already been started that goes by the same title. That one has the mph file.

I'll be interested in your insight!

Regards,
Josh
Nagi- This is a duplicate post. See the thread that's already been started that goes by the same title. That one has the mph file. I'll be interested in your insight! Regards, Josh

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.