Mesh on a cylinder that specifies the numbers of elements longitudinally and cross sectionally

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

How to mesh a cylinder that specifies the numbers of elements longitudinally and cross sectionally? Swept seems to work for longitudinal elements.

8 Replies Last Post Apr 26, 2024, 11:30 p.m. EDT
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 weeks ago Apr 11, 2024, 6:56 a.m. EDT

Hi Carl,

I'm not an expert on meshing, but I think you can do it by specifying a custom mesh size along the edges for the bottom circular boundary and then sweep based on that mesh with another custom mesh size for the longitudal sweep direction. That should give you control of the swept mesh in both directions.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Carl, I'm not an expert on meshing, but I think you can do it by specifying a custom mesh size along the edges for the bottom circular boundary and then sweep based on that mesh with another custom mesh size for the longitudal sweep direction. That should give you control of the swept mesh in both directions. Best regards, Magnus

Posted: 2 weeks ago Apr 12, 2024, 9:59 a.m. EDT

Hi Magnus, Thank you so much. How to specify a custom mesh size along the edges for the bottom circular boundary is what I wonder!

Hi Magnus, Thank you so much. How to specify a custom mesh size along the edges for the bottom circular boundary is what I wonder!

Posted: 2 weeks ago Apr 12, 2024, 10:10 a.m. EDT

Hi Carl,

Use an Edge mesh generator from Mesh>More Generators>Edge and apply it to the bottom circumferential edges. Then add a Size subnode and choose Custom under Element Size so that you can set a fixed mesh element size under Element Size Parameters.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Carl, Use an **Edge** mesh generator from **Mesh>More Generators>Edge** and apply it to the bottom circumferential edges. Then add a **Size** subnode and choose **Custom** under **Element Size** so that you can set a fixed mesh element size under **Element Size Parameters**. Best regards, Magnus

Posted: 2 weeks ago Apr 13, 2024, 3:36 a.m. EDT

Hi Magnus, Thank you so much. I followed your advice but found that Edge 1 and swept 1 don't play well together. I specify first the mesh density to be extremely fine in Edge 1, then specify the element numbers swept 1, the latter overthrowing the former.

Hi Magnus, Thank you so much. I followed your advice but found that Edge 1 and swept 1 don't play well together. I specify first the mesh density to be extremely fine in Edge 1, then specify the element numbers swept 1, the latter overthrowing the former.

Posted: 2 weeks ago Apr 15, 2024, 3:01 a.m. EDT

Hi Carl,

This approach works well for me in version 6.2. I suggest that you contact COMSOL Support for any specific issues that you may have with your model.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Carl, This approach works well for me in version 6.2. I suggest that you contact COMSOL Support for any specific issues that you may have with your model. Best regards, Magnus

Posted: 2 weeks ago Apr 15, 2024, 10:09 a.m. EDT

Hi Magnus, Thank you. I can't see your cross sectional meshing clearly enough. Isn't it axisymmetric?

Hi Magnus, Thank you. I can't see your cross sectional meshing clearly enough. Isn't it axisymmetric?

Posted: 2 weeks ago Apr 16, 2024, 3:58 a.m. EDT

Hi Carl,

The mesh nodes are evenly distributed along the base (and top) perimeter, and by default, the bottom surface uses a quadrilateral mesh, and the cylinder is swept meshed with hexahedron mesh elements. If desired, you can instead use a triangular mesh on the botton surface; the swept mesh for the cylinder then uses prism mesh elements.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Carl, The mesh nodes are evenly distributed along the base (and top) perimeter, and by default, the bottom surface uses a quadrilateral mesh, and the cylinder is swept meshed with hexahedron mesh elements. If desired, you can instead use a triangular mesh on the botton surface; the swept mesh for the cylinder then uses prism mesh elements. Best regards, Magnus

Posted: 3 days ago Apr 26, 2024, 11:30 p.m. EDT

Hi Magnus thank you. I followed your advice as attached. The only weakness for me is that on the circular boundary the mesh is too biased. Is it possible to build one that is not so biased in the two perpendicular directions?

Hi Magnus thank you. I followed your advice as attached. The only weakness for me is that on the circular boundary the mesh is too biased. Is it possible to build one that is not so biased in the two perpendicular directions?

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.