Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Which Physics to choose?

Muthuraman Chinnadurai

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Friends,

I am trying to apply voltage and wish to check the conductivity in the dielectric material, which physics should i choose???

Thanks in advance

6 Replies Last Post Nov 6, 2012, 8:57 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 5, 2012, 8:02 a.m. EST
Hi,

conductivity is a material property that must be provided in the model. If you want to see a current distribution you would probably choose electric currents in AC/DC.
If the dielectric has very low conductivity and you want to see electrical fields only you can choose electrostatics.

Cheers
Edgar

Hi, conductivity is a material property that must be provided in the model. If you want to see a current distribution you would probably choose electric currents in AC/DC. If the dielectric has very low conductivity and you want to see electrical fields only you can choose electrostatics. Cheers Edgar

Muthuraman Chinnadurai

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 5, 2012, 10:51 p.m. EST
Thank you very much Sir,
I tried solving the problem using Electrostatics; but when i plotted the conductivity under material properties, it was zero or no output was obtained. Is there a particular equation to compute electrical conductivity in a material sir?

Thank you.
Thank you very much Sir, I tried solving the problem using Electrostatics; but when i plotted the conductivity under material properties, it was zero or no output was obtained. Is there a particular equation to compute electrical conductivity in a material sir? Thank you.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 6, 2012, 3:13 a.m. EST
As Edgar wrote, you cannot compute conductivity that way. It is a material property that needs to be provided as a model input.
As Edgar wrote, you cannot compute conductivity that way. It is a material property that needs to be provided as a model input.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 6, 2012, 3:47 a.m. EST

And it should be added that in Electrostatics the conductivity of the materials is not even considered because by definition no galvanic currents are included.

Make sure you understand what you expect from the model. Are you mixing currents and conductivity here?

Cheers
Edgar
And it should be added that in Electrostatics the conductivity of the materials is not even considered because by definition no galvanic currents are included. Make sure you understand what you expect from the model. Are you mixing currents and conductivity here? Cheers Edgar

Muthuraman Chinnadurai

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 6, 2012, 8:56 p.m. EST
Thank you Eric
Thank you Eric

Muthuraman Chinnadurai

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 6, 2012, 8:57 p.m. EST
Thank you sir
Thank you sir

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.