Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Filling an "empty" space

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I'm new to Comsol and a novice at SW2012

It seems in order to model fluid flow through a heat exchanger, the volume filled with fluid (helium in this case) must be included in the model as a "solid", so that the inlet and outlet boundary conditions can be defined. Is this the case, and is there an easy way to create a part that "fills" the void? I have an existing SW2012 model of the HX.

Thanks,
Geoff

6 Replies Last Post Oct 22, 2012, 3:30 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 20, 2012, 6:34 a.m. EDT
Hi

i beleive you must tell us which physics you are using, if it's solid heat exchange (only He conduction) or with fluid flow (mass and heat transport). Because for me an inlet in a physics solid case isnt really inline with my understanding ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi i beleive you must tell us which physics you are using, if it's solid heat exchange (only He conduction) or with fluid flow (mass and heat transport). Because for me an inlet in a physics solid case isnt really inline with my understanding ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 20, 2012, 8:18 p.m. EDT
One way to model the gas volume is to create a block to represent that volume and subtract from it the heat exchanger geometry. You should not model that space as a “solid”. There is heat transfer in fluids capability which, as Ivar described, can handle convection as well as conduction through the gas.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
One way to model the gas volume is to create a block to represent that volume and subtract from it the heat exchanger geometry. You should not model that space as a “solid”. There is heat transfer in fluids capability which, as Ivar described, can handle convection as well as conduction through the gas. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 22, 2012, 11:57 a.m. EDT
Hello Ivar,

I'm using turbulent flow, fluid heat exchange and solid heat exchange models. In some operating conditions it is sub-atmospheric, so i have to use the transitional rarefied flow model.

Thanks,
Geoff

Hi

i beleive you must tell us which physics you are using, if it's solid heat exchange (only He conduction) or with fluid flow (mass and heat transport). Because for me an inlet in a physics solid case isnt really inline with my understanding ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hello Ivar, I'm using turbulent flow, fluid heat exchange and solid heat exchange models. In some operating conditions it is sub-atmospheric, so i have to use the transitional rarefied flow model. Thanks, Geoff [QUOTE] Hi i beleive you must tell us which physics you are using, if it's solid heat exchange (only He conduction) or with fluid flow (mass and heat transport). Because for me an inlet in a physics solid case isnt really inline with my understanding ;) -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 22, 2012, 12:15 p.m. EDT
Good Morning Nagi,

Yes, I think I will need to use some kind of subtraction function to define the space. I realize that is it will not be a solid, but a 3D space filled with gas, but I think Solidworks thinks everything is a solid (hence the name!). The void to be filled is made more difficult because of internal turbulence inducers, I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you for the help,
Geoff

One way to model the gas volume is to create a block to represent that volume and subtract from it the heat exchanger geometry. You should not model that space as a “solid”. There is heat transfer in fluids capability which, as Ivar described, can handle convection as well as conduction through the gas.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

Good Morning Nagi, Yes, I think I will need to use some kind of subtraction function to define the space. I realize that is it will not be a solid, but a 3D space filled with gas, but I think Solidworks thinks everything is a solid (hence the name!). The void to be filled is made more difficult because of internal turbulence inducers, I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you for the help, Geoff [QUOTE] One way to model the gas volume is to create a block to represent that volume and subtract from it the heat exchanger geometry. You should not model that space as a “solid”. There is heat transfer in fluids capability which, as Ivar described, can handle convection as well as conduction through the gas. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering [/QUOTE]

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 22, 2012, 12:47 p.m. EDT
The CAD Import Module provides an automated capability to turn the inside of a hollow object into an object of its own: the "Cap Faces" capability. This feature was introduced at version 4.2: see www.comsol.com/products/4.2/ and look for "Cap Faces".
The CAD Import Module provides an automated capability to turn the inside of a hollow object into an object of its own: the "Cap Faces" capability. This feature was introduced at version 4.2: see http://www.comsol.com/products/4.2/ and look for "Cap Faces".

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 22, 2012, 3:30 p.m. EDT
Thank You, Jean-Francois

I'll give that a try, that's exactly how I hope the program would work!

Geoff
Thank You, Jean-Francois I'll give that a try, that's exactly how I hope the program would work! Geoff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.