Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Johnson Cook

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

Is there a possibility to implement a Johnson Cook Material model (hardening function dependent on Temperature, strain and strain rate) in the nonlinear structural mechanics module?
I have not found an "effective strain rate" variable to do it myself. Does somebody have an example model for this purpose?

Thank you very much!

1 Reply Last Post Aug 27, 2012, 4:27 p.m. EDT
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 27, 2012, 4:27 p.m. EDT
Hi Hendrik,

I have implemented something similar for viscoplastic materials models so I believe a Johnson Cook model can be user implemented in COMSOL. You should define the effective strain rate based on the individual plastic strain components then add a global variable for the time integral of this strain rate.

Check out also the COMSOL example titled “Viscoplastic creep in Solder Joints” which implements an Anand material model. You should look at that example prior to Version 4.3 since COMSOL now has the Anand model built-in.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Hendrik, I have implemented something similar for viscoplastic materials models so I believe a Johnson Cook model can be user implemented in COMSOL. You should define the effective strain rate based on the individual plastic strain components then add a global variable for the time integral of this strain rate. Check out also the COMSOL example titled “Viscoplastic creep in Solder Joints” which implements an Anand material model. You should look at that example prior to Version 4.3 since COMSOL now has the Anand model built-in. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.