Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plastic bending - is this too much to ask out of COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm stepping into a completely new area of physics and not sure if COMSOL has the capability. Actually, I'm not even sure if this problem is tractable numerically.

Specifically, I want to bend a metal tube across rollers to bend it get it to make a spring. I can worry about axial movement of the rollers later, so just a "simple" problem. Force a rod around some rollers so as to make a permanent deformation.

What are the parameters of the metal that would drive this, e.g. to compute how much "spring-back" is there as the rod comes out from the forming device. Etc.

Any thoughts?

Regards, John

1 Reply Last Post Aug 11, 2012, 3:05 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 11, 2012, 3:05 a.m. EDT
Hi

I believe COMSOL has the capability, but it might not be already fully implemented in your way, anyhow, I would expect that you can find most of what you need in the new non-linear structural module, but I havent had time to correctly explore this one yet (from 4.3) so I cannot comment more

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe COMSOL has the capability, but it might not be already fully implemented in your way, anyhow, I would expect that you can find most of what you need in the new non-linear structural module, but I havent had time to correctly explore this one yet (from 4.3) so I cannot comment more -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.