Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

meshing elements

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

My PI would like to know how many meshing elements are in my model. Is there a way to look this up somewhere within the model? Or in the log, as the program is running?

Thank you!

Kelley

2 Replies Last Post Jul 19, 2012, 1:29 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 18, 2012, 5:15 p.m. EDT
I found it, but I thought I would put the answer in here in case someone else is looking for the same thing some day.
Once you start a run, one of the first things the model does is layout all the elements in your model in the log window. So look at an old log, or start a new run and watch the log window until it says something like...

Number of vertex elements: 5053
Number of edge elements: 19008
Number of boundary elements: 65226
Number of elements: 267105
Free meshing time: 29.63s
Minimum element quality: 0.07098
Number of vertex elements: 5053
Number of edge elements: 19224
Number of boundary elements: 70410
Number of elements: 445525
Free meshing time: 3.03s
Minimum element quality: 0.0002457
Nonlinear solver
Number of degrees of freedom solved for: 1141680.
I found it, but I thought I would put the answer in here in case someone else is looking for the same thing some day. Once you start a run, one of the first things the model does is layout all the elements in your model in the log window. So look at an old log, or start a new run and watch the log window until it says something like... Number of vertex elements: 5053 Number of edge elements: 19008 Number of boundary elements: 65226 Number of elements: 267105 Free meshing time: 29.63s Minimum element quality: 0.07098 Number of vertex elements: 5053 Number of edge elements: 19224 Number of boundary elements: 70410 Number of elements: 445525 Free meshing time: 3.03s Minimum element quality: 0.0002457 Nonlinear solver Number of degrees of freedom solved for: 1141680.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 19, 2012, 1:29 a.m. EDT
Hi

you can also right click on the Mesh node and ask for statistics, then you can select the full or a part of your model

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you can also right click on the Mesh node and ask for statistics, then you can select the full or a part of your model -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.