Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation of Moving Permanent Magnets

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to simulate two permanent magnets where one is fixed and the other is free to move. I am using the Magnetic Field, No Currents module to calculate the force on each magnet (like the permanent magnet example in the model gallery), and the Solid Mechanics module to apply the calculated force as a body load on the free magnet. I then would like to do a time dependent study to visualize the motion of the free magnet over time. However, there are several problems that I am having

1. The forces on the magnets vary widely in magnitude and direction with only small changes in setup (like mesh).

2. If I do a stationary mfnc study and apply the calculated force as a body load in a time dependent solid mechanics study, the free magnet will move according to the initial force on it. However, when I try to couple the mfnc and solid mechanics in a time dependent study, the solver will not run.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Shane

2 Replies Last Post Aug 27, 2012, 4:04 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Shane Lympany

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 27, 2012, 10:27 a.m. EDT
can i see your model?
can i see your model?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 27, 2012, 4:04 p.m. EDT
Hi

do not use the structural as you are doing a rigid body case, but use forced displacements () or velocity in the ACDC module. Then you should get forces out, but do not forget that forces are derived from the gradients integrated over edges, so these gradients are very mesh dependent

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi do not use the structural as you are doing a rigid body case, but use forced displacements () or velocity in the ACDC module. Then you should get forces out, but do not forget that forces are derived from the gradients integrated over edges, so these gradients are very mesh dependent -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.