Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL collapses when 3D postplot

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have installed COMSOL 3.5 in Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS. Everything works well on the local machine, but when I use remote desktop software, Xmanager 4.0, to logon that machine and run comsol script M file, COMSOL collapses when it postplots 3D figures.
The error report log is attached
#

# An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:

#

# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f0be855d12e, pid=2201, tid=139689092884224

#

# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (10.0-b22 mixed mode linux-amd64)

# Problematic frame:

# C [libGL.so.1+0x5612e] XF86DRIQueryVersion+0xae

--
Computational Electromagnetics, Finite Element Method, Computer Aided Engineering.

1 Reply Last Post Jun 16, 2012, 3:47 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 16, 2012, 3:47 a.m. EDT
Hi

I suspect that is because normally the "stand alone" COMSOL licence does not accept remote connection. For that you need a network licence. This has a commercial sens when you are in a big company, to avoid they run a 3x8h licence all around the world, while paying for a "single person at the time access".But I agree, it's very limiting for a small or single man company ;)

If you take a consultant today, wanting to provide a reasonable service, with commercial software, he must consider about the equivalent to his own salary for the purchase and licencing of the required software. Not ideal for maximum flexibility and freedom to do your business in a liberal wold. But on the other hand a company selling good software need some income too. The optimum for individuals is seldom (if ever) the optimum of a system ...

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I suspect that is because normally the "stand alone" COMSOL licence does not accept remote connection. For that you need a network licence. This has a commercial sens when you are in a big company, to avoid they run a 3x8h licence all around the world, while paying for a "single person at the time access".But I agree, it's very limiting for a small or single man company ;) If you take a consultant today, wanting to provide a reasonable service, with commercial software, he must consider about the equivalent to his own salary for the purchase and licencing of the required software. Not ideal for maximum flexibility and freedom to do your business in a liberal wold. But on the other hand a company selling good software need some income too. The optimum for individuals is seldom (if ever) the optimum of a system ... -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.