Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling anisotropic Material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi,

i need to model a system (a sphere with a dipole in its centre), the model exhibits anisotropic conductivity. i.e. the radial value of electrical conductivity sigma is 10 times less than its tengentational counterpart. i have the local values of these conductivities, my question is whether femlab/comsol accept values of conductivity tensor in local or gloable coordinates. and is there a way to translate local coordinates into global one.

2 Replies Last Post Jul 26, 2013, 6:21 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 27, 2010, 1:56 a.m. EST
Hi

take a closer look at your doc, you candefine coordinate systems in COMSOL that then appear in the BC windows as selectable (outside theunderlaying x,y,z and local normal/tangeant coordinates.

Then its a question of plying woth your expression to go from spherical to linear coordinates

Unfortunately there is no easy way to visualise these coordinate systems, I normally use the trik to make temporary load (vector) cases and then visualise the BC "show symbols", this allows me to check the coherence of the directions in my new coordinate system, but then do not forget to delete these unwanted BC's ;)

Good luck
Ivar
Hi take a closer look at your doc, you candefine coordinate systems in COMSOL that then appear in the BC windows as selectable (outside theunderlaying x,y,z and local normal/tangeant coordinates. Then its a question of plying woth your expression to go from spherical to linear coordinates Unfortunately there is no easy way to visualise these coordinate systems, I normally use the trik to make temporary load (vector) cases and then visualise the BC "show symbols", this allows me to check the coherence of the directions in my new coordinate system, but then do not forget to delete these unwanted BC's ;) Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 26, 2013, 6:21 a.m. EDT
Hello Ivar,

Would you mind to show an example do display your clever trick? Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Xuezhou
Hello Ivar, Would you mind to show an example do display your clever trick? Thank you in advance. Best regards, Xuezhou

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.