Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Failure to solve Thermal Plasma Tutorial

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

After following the Thermal Plasma Model Tutorial (www.comsol.com/showroom/documentation/model/8658/), I attempted to solve my generated model but I receive the following error:

Failed to find consistent initial values.
Last time step is not converged.
-Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol1/t1)
-Error: Failed to find consistent initial values.

I believe this is related to the Electron Mobility Value in the Electron Density and Energy Tab of the Plasma Model 1 feature in the Inductively Coupled Plasma Physics in the Model Builder Window.

The value for mu_e of 4E24/icp.Nn shows up in orange with the warning:

Deduced unit is [m^3], expected is [m^2/(V*s)]

I have tried running the completed model from the comsol site with the same result.

Has anyone experienced this error?

1 Reply Last Post Aug 9, 2012, 8:23 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mitchell Walker

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 9, 2012, 8:23 a.m. EDT
Hi,I encountered the same problem when I run the Thermal Plasma Model and other ICP plasma models. Have you solved this problem?
Hi,I encountered the same problem when I run the Thermal Plasma Model and other ICP plasma models. Have you solved this problem?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.