Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using COMSOL Variables

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I would like to know how I can use the Effective Saturation and turn it into electrical conductivity/resistivity.

When I compute a subsurface flow module, I get the variable dl.Se for "Effective Saturation".

Now I wish to turn this Se into electrical conductivity by using Archie law. How do I call the variable? I tried using mod1.dl.Se or dl.Se in the material properties but no luck.

Thanks!
Eric

2 Replies Last Post Apr 19, 2012, 1:44 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2012, 1:15 a.m. EDT

Hi,

I would like to know how I can use the Effective Saturation and turn it into electrical conductivity/resistivity.

When I compute a subsurface flow module, I get the variable dl.Se for "Effective Saturation".

Now I wish to turn this Se into electrical conductivity by using Archie law. How do I call the variable? I tried using mod1.dl.Se or dl.Se in the material properties but no luck.

Thanks!
Eric

this property should not be given in the material module
Try to use the property value that is present in the physics for the specific domain ...
then COMSOL accepts it.

eg : yi = xi^3/5 + xi^2 where yi being your conductivity and xi being effective saturation and the function being archies law

i guess only the place that you used matters .. !

[QUOTE] Hi, I would like to know how I can use the Effective Saturation and turn it into electrical conductivity/resistivity. When I compute a subsurface flow module, I get the variable dl.Se for "Effective Saturation". Now I wish to turn this Se into electrical conductivity by using Archie law. How do I call the variable? I tried using mod1.dl.Se or dl.Se in the material properties but no luck. Thanks! Eric [/QUOTE] this property should not be given in the material module Try to use the property value that is present in the physics for the specific domain ... then COMSOL accepts it. eg : yi = xi^3/5 + xi^2 where yi being your conductivity and xi being effective saturation and the function being archies law i guess only the place that you used matters .. !

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2012, 1:44 p.m. EDT
Thank you for your reply Santosh,

But dl.Se is a variable generated by Comsol solver.

Basically, I run the solver for Richard equation, it gives dl.Se

Then I want to run the solver for ACDC while using the values store in dl.Se

Thx in advance
Thank you for your reply Santosh, But dl.Se is a variable generated by Comsol solver. Basically, I run the solver for Richard equation, it gives dl.Se Then I want to run the solver for ACDC while using the values store in dl.Se Thx in advance

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.