Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Generate a mesh like concentric rings

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, all

I want to generate kind of structured mesh of concentric rings shape. The mesh is dense in the direction of radius and coarse in the angle direction.

Thanks!

5 Replies Last Post Apr 19, 2012, 10:09 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 7, 2012, 6:17 a.m. EDT
Hi

in 3.5 you have a rotate mesh function (if I remember right, its not yet in v4 unfortunately) so you can mesh an edge and rotate the edge to get a mapped 2D or quad 3D mesh. Not that in 2Daxi the axis cannot contain a quad/mapped mesh, in V4.2 yes but you will get a region along the axis where you loose the results, this comesfrom a mathematical singualrity 0/0 on the symmetry axis, use tri or thet mesh in contact with the rotation r=0 axis

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in 3.5 you have a rotate mesh function (if I remember right, its not yet in v4 unfortunately) so you can mesh an edge and rotate the edge to get a mapped 2D or quad 3D mesh. Not that in 2Daxi the axis cannot contain a quad/mapped mesh, in V4.2 yes but you will get a region along the axis where you loose the results, this comesfrom a mathematical singualrity 0/0 on the symmetry axis, use tri or thet mesh in contact with the rotation r=0 axis -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 7, 2012, 7:56 a.m. EDT
Thanks for ur reply!

I looked into the options. It seems the revolve mesh function cannot generate 2D mesh.
Thanks for ur reply! I looked into the options. It seems the revolve mesh function cannot generate 2D mesh.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 7, 2012, 2:45 p.m. EDT
Hi

You are probably right (I havent used 3.5 for quite some time), but then you should be able to use a mapped mesh, by first meshing the edges with N elements per rotation, then a 2D mapped mesh

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi You are probably right (I havent used 3.5 for quite some time), but then you should be able to use a mapped mesh, by first meshing the edges with N elements per rotation, then a 2D mapped mesh -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 7, 2012, 3:45 p.m. EDT
Yes, thanks Ivar.

I've gotten the mesh by mapped mesh.
Yes, thanks Ivar. I've gotten the mesh by mapped mesh.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2012, 10:09 a.m. EDT
Hi

I have just learned that in fact the "sweep mesh" of V4.2 can also generate a revolve mesh geometry.
I hadnet tested it out efore, and not thought of it, havnt found it the doc either, but it works (I got the hint from our local COMSOL rep). Just try it out, make a workplane, add an rectangle make a revolve tube, hen mesh one section and sweep it around.
One limitation, but it has a topology expanation, is that a mapped mesh cannot be rotated if the axis of rotation is part of the sweep surface. As a mapped mesh rotated generate a quad and a quad with a common axis means one of the boundaries is singular (the one on the axis).

If the axis is part of your domain you must make an internalsection along the axis, mesh the external part mapped, revolve it, and mesh the internal, on axis domain with a thet, (convert the internal tube boundary first.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have just learned that in fact the "sweep mesh" of V4.2 can also generate a revolve mesh geometry. I hadnet tested it out efore, and not thought of it, havnt found it the doc either, but it works (I got the hint from our local COMSOL rep). Just try it out, make a workplane, add an rectangle make a revolve tube, hen mesh one section and sweep it around. One limitation, but it has a topology expanation, is that a mapped mesh cannot be rotated if the axis of rotation is part of the sweep surface. As a mapped mesh rotated generate a quad and a quad with a common axis means one of the boundaries is singular (the one on the axis). If the axis is part of your domain you must make an internalsection along the axis, mesh the external part mapped, revolve it, and mesh the internal, on axis domain with a thet, (convert the internal tube boundary first. -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.