Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

deformation of a thin membrane (spherical shaped)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to simulate the deformation of a very thin spherical object (with very low Young's modulus) that has fluid inside and outside (like a balloon filled with water). The fluid density inside is higher than the outside.
I will apply surface stress on one side and look at the deformation.
Does anybody have any suggestions to which module to use, or where to start? I was thinking of using solid to create a very thin object. However the fluid inside and outside (sugar solution) is nearly incompressible with very small finite modulus.
The ultimate goal is to find mechanical characteristics of the membrane like material. The force is applied on the membrane.

I appreciate any advice related to use of proper Comsol modules.

0 Replies Last Post Mar 28, 2012, 5:07 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello diehardEE

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.