Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Impedance Analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I created a 2D geometry in COMSOL. In this geometry I have a microchannel with a set of parallel electrodes and media in between them (with its own permittivity and conductivity). 1 Volts is being applied to the bottom electrode (using Terminal under AC/DC electric currents) and the top electrode in the channel is ground.

Considering that in between the electrodes, I want to find the impedance/admittance, If I model the impedance between the plates, I have a resistor in parallel with a capacitor, and therefore =>

I/V = 1/R +jwC (easier to define it this way)

From which, theoretically, the resistor and capacitor are calculated using R=L/sigmaA and C=epsilonA/d

Now based on this, I want to do a sanity check on COMSOL to see that the inverse of the real part of I/V gives me the same Resistor as in theory and the imaginary part of I/V divided by omega(w) also gives me a value for the Capacitor as same as the mathematically calculated capacitor. Yet I am a bit confused on how to define the current in I/V. I have tried defining the current density and surface charge density on the bottom plate, or there is a part in COMSOL that a terminal current is defined automatically, but I won't get the same results as in theory and I know there might be something wrong with the way I am defining the current here. I don't completely understand the definition of displacement current and how it is going to be related in this problem. If I do a line integration (2D) over the bottom electrode does it make sense? and do I have to consider any charges in the top electrode? and I was wondering, how is the current defined in such problems.

0 Replies Last Post Nov 27, 2020, 10:56 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sarah Ab

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.