Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Finding a mode index for a 3D waveguide structure

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to find a mode index of a 3D waveguide structure.

I cannot use the usual 2D mode solver as my structure periodically varies along the direction of propagation.

This is my first time dealing with 3D structure in COMSOL, so I do not know where to start from or how I should approach to solve the problem.
In fact, I am not sure if the 3D RF module can even give me a mode index of a 3D waveguide structure.

Anyway, it would be very much appreciated if someone who have done similar thing can give me some clues to this problem

Thanks!

3 Replies Last Post Mar 23, 2012, 2:17 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 23, 2012, 1:11 p.m. EDT
There is 3D waveguide example in the library. It shows how to deal with such problems.
There is 3D waveguide example in the library. It shows how to deal with such problems.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 23, 2012, 1:25 p.m. EDT
Hi Alexander,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, the first thing I tried was to see if there is any similar example in the library but I couldn't find any so I posted the question here.

Could you please let me know the name of the example file?

Thanks,
Min
Hi Alexander, Thanks for your reply. Actually, the first thing I tried was to see if there is any similar example in the library but I couldn't find any so I posted the question here. Could you please let me know the name of the example file? Thanks, Min

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 23, 2012, 2:17 p.m. EDT
Here: www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/140/
Here: http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/140/

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.