Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem Modeling Capacitive Cantilever Sensor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to find out the pull-in voltage of a capacitive cantilever sensor. To do so I did the following:

I chose to do the 2D model first to get an idea, then I added Moving Mesh (ale), solid mechanics, and electrostatics (in order) for my physics and chose a stationary solver.

In geometry I made 3 rectangles (300um * 2 um). I chose the top and bottom rectangles to be gold; the top one is going to be the cantilever and the bottom one is going to be a fixed ground plane.

I chose only the top and bottom rectangles for the solid mechanics module. I chose the middle rectangle, representing the gap to be air. Then is solid mechanics module I fixed the left, right, and the bottom boundaries of the bottom rectangle (the ground plane) and fixed the left boundary of the top one, using the fixed boundary constraint.

I chose air for the electrostatics module. In the electrostatics module, I chose the bottom face of the middle rectangle to be ground and the top face to have a fixed potential.

At the end, I chose the middle rectangle only for the ALE, chose it to have free deformation (free deformation domain), and added a prescribed mesh displacement (after the free deformation) overriding the default mesh displacement. I chose the top and bottom face of the rectangle, and chose u and v for dx and dy.

I used a physics-controlled mesh.

At the beginning when I tried to solve the problem it gave me a Newtonian n iteration number error so I increased the number of iterations; however, the y displacement result that I'm interested in, still does not make physical sense (it is ~3E-308, which is zero).

Would someone be kind to tell me where I am making the mistake? Eventually I am going to need to model the #D version; I tried the 3D version using a similar approach and keep getting 0 displacement as answer. I don't get any errors or warnings from the solver. I have also tried playing with the fixed boundary conditions, and the voltage level to no avail.

Thanks.

1 Reply Last Post Jan 31, 2013, 5:37 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Yashar Ganjeh

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 31, 2013, 5:37 a.m. EST

Hi Yashar,

I'm trying to simulate the same that you. Could you have any solution to your problem?

Thanks for the answer.

Regards,
Edwin.
Hi Yashar, I'm trying to simulate the same that you. Could you have any solution to your problem? Thanks for the answer. Regards, Edwin.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.