Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Convergence problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is there any idea on how to improve the convergence problem?
As shown in the attached picture, I have several point to calculate, but I cannot get convergence at the last point. I have refined the mesh several times, but the results still the same. Is there any way to improve the convergence?

3 Replies Last Post Mar 19, 2012, 6:34 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 15, 2012, 2:30 p.m. EDT
Try either changing iterative solver settings or switching to direct solver.
Try either changing iterative solver settings or switching to direct solver.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 19, 2012, 4:41 p.m. EDT
hi,

I have looked at the information about the iterative solver settings and direct solver, but there is no criteria on how to change this setting. For example, which setting is suitable for which application. What is the difference between the direct solver and iterative solver. Why the default setting is iterative solver? The Help only tells the users can put some values in the blank, but I don't know what is the effect of this setting. It takes a lot of time to see what happen if I change some of them. Is there any document on tutoring the solver setting?
hi, I have looked at the information about the iterative solver settings and direct solver, but there is no criteria on how to change this setting. For example, which setting is suitable for which application. What is the difference between the direct solver and iterative solver. Why the default setting is iterative solver? The Help only tells the users can put some values in the blank, but I don't know what is the effect of this setting. It takes a lot of time to see what happen if I change some of them. Is there any document on tutoring the solver setting?

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 19, 2012, 6:34 p.m. EDT
Direct solver gives exact solution of the matrix equation. But it's slower. Iterative solver gives approximate solution by going in subsequent iteration steps. Generally faster but might have problems with convergence.
Good starting point would be a book on FEM or numerical methods in linear algebra.
Direct solver gives exact solution of the matrix equation. But it's slower. Iterative solver gives approximate solution by going in subsequent iteration steps. Generally faster but might have problems with convergence. Good starting point would be a book on FEM or numerical methods in linear algebra.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.