Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to make a cut normally to a domain?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hey peeps

I have a 3D model, and I would like to cut it exactly into half to check out the elements inside, under '3D plot group', I choose 'mesh' and then choose 'select cut plane normal from surface' from the top, then...? it seems to have no button for me to click to plot further? (please see attachment)

many thanks for your help!!

cheers
Liwah

3 Replies Last Post Dec 16, 2011, 3:42 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 15, 2011, 2:53 p.m. EST
Hi

in COMSOL there are two basic ways:

1) you prepare the cut plane in the geometry with two domains (the "layer feature is handy for that") this interiour boundary will respect, by default "continuity of flux conditions" so it does not really make your moe much heavier. And you will have nodes placed on the surface by default, hence flux or gradient calculations might be slightly more precise than the next case. Furthermode, the oundary is easy to select and you can set up variables define on the bondary. All this is done BEFORE you solve

2) you define a "Data Set - Cut Plane" on the solved daa. This makes availale a surface sub-data set onto which you can do postprocessing. As this plane mostly cuts through mesh elements, the values are interpolatd to be defined on the cut plane, this can lead to a slightly les precise or sagged values for the variables. This is a pure POTPROCESSING domain operation. You can define a surface plot on this (sub) data set

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in COMSOL there are two basic ways: 1) you prepare the cut plane in the geometry with two domains (the "layer feature is handy for that") this interiour boundary will respect, by default "continuity of flux conditions" so it does not really make your moe much heavier. And you will have nodes placed on the surface by default, hence flux or gradient calculations might be slightly more precise than the next case. Furthermode, the oundary is easy to select and you can set up variables define on the bondary. All this is done BEFORE you solve 2) you define a "Data Set - Cut Plane" on the solved daa. This makes availale a surface sub-data set onto which you can do postprocessing. As this plane mostly cuts through mesh elements, the values are interpolatd to be defined on the cut plane, this can lead to a slightly les precise or sagged values for the variables. This is a pure POTPROCESSING domain operation. You can define a surface plot on this (sub) data set -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 16, 2011, 7:13 a.m. EST
Hi Ivar

many thanks! I tried out the 2nd workaround, it works good!
yet, it seems to be no difference from defining a slice as postprocessed interface, because under 'expression', I do not have any extra options but only 'Geometry and Mesh \ coordinates; domain index; mesh element size; mesh quality; volume scale factor'. Indeed, I need to visualize all individual elements when I cut through the domain itself.

thanks again!!

cheers
Liwah
Hi Ivar many thanks! I tried out the 2nd workaround, it works good! yet, it seems to be no difference from defining a slice as postprocessed interface, because under 'expression', I do not have any extra options but only 'Geometry and Mesh \ coordinates; domain index; mesh element size; mesh quality; volume scale factor'. Indeed, I need to visualize all individual elements when I cut through the domain itself. thanks again!! cheers Liwah

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 16, 2011, 3:42 p.m. EST
Hi

COMSOL does not really give you direct access to the mesh elements or nodes, but to your dependent variables extrapolated onto entities (such as domains, boundaries, edges, or points) be these true geoemtrical items or postprocessing features

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi COMSOL does not really give you direct access to the mesh elements or nodes, but to your dependent variables extrapolated onto entities (such as domains, boundaries, edges, or points) be these true geoemtrical items or postprocessing features -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.