Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Langmuir Adsorption Equilibrium using Reaction Engineering

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am trying to model the adsorption of water onto a desiccant surface using the Reaction Engineering Module. When using the Langmuir Equation I get the following reaction:

vapour + free sites = filled sites (Equilibrium Reaction)
K = [filled sites]/ ([vapour] [free sites]) (Equilibrium Constant)

with
number of free sites + number of filled sites = overall number of sites = const.

I have set up the equilibrium reaction in a semibatch reactor using a constant feed stream for the vapour and a fixed initial condition of free sites, but don't know how to implement the link between free and filled sites, i.e. make the overall number of sites constant.

Does anybody know how to best accomplish that?
Would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks,

Thorsten

0 Replies Last Post Nov 15, 2011, 9:33 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Thorsten Spillmann

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.