Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Draw Schematics in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Are there any forum-recomended solutions to draw electrical circuit schematics? I'm surprised COMSOL doesnt do this [unless I've missed it??]

I routinely make mistakes when I name nodes and find myself sketching on paper to check what I have typed in. Seems wrong....

At the moment, my thoughts are to output a netlist and then find a downloadable program to do the conversion and hope that program works.

Or is the correct answer to forget what i've already entered into COMSOL and instead draw the schematic in, say, LTSPICE and then export a netlist then import into COMSOL?

Sounds like an easy upgrade for COMSOL....

Regards, John

1 Reply Last Post Jun 10, 2019, 10:07 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Jun 10, 2019, 10:07 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jun 10, 2019, 10:07 a.m. EDT

A couple things, there is no schematic GUI in comsol (yet). You use netlists. Also, netlists in comsol are not necesarily compatible with LTspice. There are several elements that they do not share between simulators. For generic R,L,C's then yes. Best bet would be to draw your circuit in ltspice, get the netlist from there and re-do it in comsol. I don't recall if comsol items are case sensivite or not. In the past I ended up having to capitalize everthing but I may not be recalling everything correctly. Too many simulation programs in my head to keep straight :-)

A couple things, there is no schematic GUI in comsol (yet). You use netlists. Also, netlists in comsol are not necesarily compatible with LTspice. There are several elements that they do not share between simulators. For generic R,L,C's then yes. Best bet would be to draw your circuit in ltspice, get the netlist from there and re-do it in comsol. I don't recall if comsol items are case sensivite or not. In the past I ended up having to capitalize everthing but I may not be recalling everything correctly. Too many simulation programs in my head to keep straight :-)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.