Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Interpolation of material property inside domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone

I am looking forward to do tDCS human brain modelling where I will interpolate measured conductivity information of brain using MRI into human head model in COMSOL 5.0. I have prepared the mesh using simpleware and can solve the laplacian equation using literature values of conductivity. Now I want to interpolate personalized conducitivity values inside brain. The measured conductivity is with voxel size of 2mm and total of 30slices acquired within brain region only, whereas model data is of istropic 1 mm voxel which is used to make segemented model. What is the way of interpolate this conductivity information into the model. As data is of specific domain. Looking forward for healthy guidance.

4 Replies Last Post Jun 10, 2019, 12:16 a.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago Jun 3, 2019, 7:43 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jun 3, 2019, 7:43 a.m. EDT

Hi,

you may want to check the documentation about the 3D interpolation function. This allows to use spatially distributed material properties.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, you may want to check the documentation about the 3D interpolation function. This allows to use spatially distributed material properties. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 5 years ago Jun 7, 2019, 6:00 a.m. EDT

Hi Kaiser

I have checked the documentation and prepared my import file accordingly. So is there any way I can check the cordinates of import file with the geometry. The problem is model data and measured domain data is with different resolution. Even if I upsample the data according to the model but still I am getting this error.

Undefined variable. - Variable: sigma11 - Geometry: geom1 - Domain: 32 Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: comp1.ec.sigmaxx - Defined as: sigma11 Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: comp1.ec.Jix - Defined as: (((comp1.ec.sigmaxxcomp1.ec.Ex)+(comp1.ec.Eycomp1.ec.sigmaxy))+(comp1.ec.Ezcomp1.ec.sigmaxz)) Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: comp1.ec.Jx - Defined as: comp1.ec.Jix Failed to evaluate expression. - Expression: d(((comp1.ec.Jxtest(comp1.Vx)+comp1.ec.Jytest(comp1.Vy)+comp1.ec.Jztest(comp1.Vz))comp1.ec.d)(dvol),{test@4})

The domain 32 is white matter and sigma11 is the first row first column of tensor matrix. Please let me know if you have any further suggestion or need any information. I feel its not difficult but can't able to connect dots.

TIA

Nitish

Hi Kaiser I have checked the documentation and prepared my import file accordingly. So is there any way I can check the cordinates of import file with the geometry. The problem is model data and measured domain data is with different resolution. Even if I upsample the data according to the model but still I am getting this error. Undefined variable. - Variable: sigma11 - Geometry: geom1 - Domain: 32 Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: comp1.ec.sigmaxx - Defined as: sigma11 Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: comp1.ec.Jix - Defined as: (((comp1.ec.sigmaxx*comp1.ec.Ex)+(comp1.ec.Ey*comp1.ec.sigmaxy))+(comp1.ec.Ez*comp1.ec.sigmaxz)) Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: comp1.ec.Jx - Defined as: comp1.ec.Jix Failed to evaluate expression. - Expression: d(((comp1.ec.Jx*test(comp1.Vx)+comp1.ec.Jy*test(comp1.Vy)+comp1.ec.Jz*test(comp1.Vz))*comp1.ec.d)*(dvol),{test@4}) The domain 32 is white matter and sigma11 is the first row first column of tensor matrix. Please let me know if you have any further suggestion or need any information. I feel its not difficult but can't able to connect dots. TIA Nitish

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago Jun 7, 2019, 12:01 p.m. EDT

Did you assign the interpolation function to the conductivity in the respective material node or in the physics node?

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Did you assign the interpolation function to the conductivity in the respective material node or in the physics node?

Posted: 5 years ago Jun 10, 2019, 12:16 a.m. EDT

I assigned it in Physics node using the current conservation option.

So process I am using is firstly make a text file with 9 columns. The first 3 are coordinates and next six are the data. Define a global interpolation variable with 6 different function names inside it. Use the physics node of current conversation and assign the user defined anisotropic conductivity with the similar function names written in global interpolation variable.

I assigned it in Physics node using the current conservation option. So process I am using is firstly make a text file with 9 columns. The first 3 are coordinates and next six are the data. Define a global interpolation variable with 6 different function names inside it. Use the physics node of current conversation and assign the user defined anisotropic conductivity with the similar function names written in global interpolation variable.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.