Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

wave guide

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am starting study using Femlab simulation. I have problem. Actually, i want to simulate my metamaterial design but before simulate my design, i try simulate simple design. I just make rectangular wave guide and define air inside of wave guide. The dimension of base is 100 micro meter x 80 micro meter. I think the result is in all frequency, the wave will propagate till the end of wave guide. But i get graph like high pass filter, and freq cut off is around 1.6 e12 Hz. When freq was under 1.6e12 Hz, the wave could not propagate till the end of wave guide. Any body can explain about this phenomena?

Another question, I want to simulate the movement of nano particle under electric field. But i could not successful to get result. Any body have experience to simulate particle movement using Femlab?

Thank you very much
Hadi Teguh Yudistira

3 Replies Last Post Jan 31, 2013, 12:34 p.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 27, 2011, 2:23 p.m. EDT
Well, I can answer your first question: Yes, this is not surprising. A rectangular waveguide with a cross-sectional width of 100 microns has a cutoff frequency of about 1.5 x 10^12 Hz, for the lowest order mode.

Well, I can answer your first question: Yes, this is not surprising. A rectangular waveguide with a cross-sectional width of 100 microns has a cutoff frequency of about 1.5 x 10^12 Hz, for the lowest order mode.

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 27, 2011, 8:21 p.m. EDT
Dear Mr. Koslover,
Thank you very much for your explanation. I made mistake calculation last time. I forgot to multiply light speed in freq cut off. And i got small freq cut off value (only several hundred Hz).
Actually, the freq cut off is large for my range metamaterial working area. Do you have any experience to simulate performance of metamaterial design? I try use port function because in port function has feature to calculate S- parameter. Or is there any idea another method to calculate S-parameter, typically for S-11?
Dear Mr. Koslover, Thank you very much for your explanation. I made mistake calculation last time. I forgot to multiply light speed in freq cut off. And i got small freq cut off value (only several hundred Hz). Actually, the freq cut off is large for my range metamaterial working area. Do you have any experience to simulate performance of metamaterial design? I try use port function because in port function has feature to calculate S- parameter. Or is there any idea another method to calculate S-parameter, typically for S-11?

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 31, 2013, 12:34 p.m. EST
Dear Hadi
I am a beginner in COMSOL and I have started to work on fishnet/SRR metamaterial related simulations. I used Port Boundary conditions to simulate my structure however, I get way too high electric fields. The calculated phases are incorrect but the Transmission and Reflection seem to be correct. Can you please suggest why this is happening.
It would be of great help if you can provide me with a working 3D model so I can study the differences between your and my models.
Any help will be appreciated. Thank you

Regards
Arvinder
Dear Hadi I am a beginner in COMSOL and I have started to work on fishnet/SRR metamaterial related simulations. I used Port Boundary conditions to simulate my structure however, I get way too high electric fields. The calculated phases are incorrect but the Transmission and Reflection seem to be correct. Can you please suggest why this is happening. It would be of great help if you can provide me with a working 3D model so I can study the differences between your and my models. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you Regards Arvinder

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.