Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to apply a parameter(like electric potential) as the boundary condition to a surface which varies spatially over the surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi everyone!

Can anyone tell me how to apply a parameter (line electric potential) as a boundary condition to a surface that varies along the surface in a continuous manner.Its like I want to use a surface as the top part of a resister with a current flowing along it.Since it has a current along it the potential from one side of the surface to the other drops from some to zero. I don't want to model the current it self just this variation.Also I am using comsol 3.5.

thanks in advance

cheers
vikrant

2 Replies Last Post May 9, 2011, 1:57 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 8, 2011, 2:19 p.m. EDT
Hi

if I understand you right, you want to write someting like

my_BC_V = V0[V]+Vslope[V/m]*s[m]

for an edge in 2D where s[m] moves from 0 to 1 along the edge in the sens of the arrow

In 3D it's probably easier, if you are aligned lets say along "x" something like

my_BC_V = V0[V]+Vslope[V]*(x-X0)/(X1-X0)

where X0 i the starting value of X and X1 the ending value

Try to look at the initial conditions before you solve the full model

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if I understand you right, you want to write someting like my_BC_V = V0[V]+Vslope[V/m]*s[m] for an edge in 2D where s[m] moves from 0 to 1 along the edge in the sens of the arrow In 3D it's probably easier, if you are aligned lets say along "x" something like my_BC_V = V0[V]+Vslope[V]*(x-X0)/(X1-X0) where X0 i the starting value of X and X1 the ending value Try to look at the initial conditions before you solve the full model -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 9, 2011, 1:57 a.m. EDT
thank you for the reply Ivar.That is what i need.I will be doing in 3d.
thank you for the reply Ivar.That is what i need.I will be doing in 3d.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.