Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Deformation on a flexible tube

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I would like to analyze the deformation of a silicone tube when an applied force "F" on a square piece located at the top of the pipe (see figure). What modules of the Comsol should I use ?

Can anyone help me?
Thanks a lot.

11 Replies Last Post May 14, 2011, 4:35 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 7, 2011, 3:46 p.m. EDT
The Structural Mechanics Module
The Structural Mechanics Module

Posted: 1 decade ago May 11, 2011, 12:09 a.m. EDT

Hello everybody,

I would like to apply a force on the block of PVC and calculate the volume of the silicone tube varied due to compression. I'm using the module Solid-Stress-Strain (sld) = subdmain 1 is the silicon tube, subdmain 2 is PVC.
How do I check the deformation experienced by the tube due PVC block?

is Analysis type Static ? Stationary ?

Can anyone help me?
Hello everybody, I would like to apply a force on the block of PVC and calculate the volume of the silicone tube varied due to compression. I'm using the module Solid-Stress-Strain (sld) = subdmain 1 is the silicon tube, subdmain 2 is PVC. How do I check the deformation experienced by the tube due PVC block? is Analysis type Static ? Stationary ? Can anyone help me?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 11, 2011, 1:31 a.m. EDT
Hi

if you know the total forcea expressed on the boundaries, try a stationary. In case of convergence issues, try to ramp gently the force with a stationary "continuation" parametric sweep.

The deformed volume is obtained by integrating the resulting volume, over the correct frame (deformed one in comsolv v4 with lower case x,y,z lettres if the default are kept. In v3.5 you either need to turn on the deformed frame in the physics, before you solve, or you need to take into account the deformations u,v,w in your integration formula

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you know the total forcea expressed on the boundaries, try a stationary. In case of convergence issues, try to ramp gently the force with a stationary "continuation" parametric sweep. The deformed volume is obtained by integrating the resulting volume, over the correct frame (deformed one in comsolv v4 with lower case x,y,z lettres if the default are kept. In v3.5 you either need to turn on the deformed frame in the physics, before you solve, or you need to take into account the deformations u,v,w in your integration formula -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 11, 2011, 10:01 a.m. EDT

The block of PVC seems warped, but the tube nothing happens. I believe this is wrong.

How do I calculate the volume? use the integration of subdomain? What is the variable of integration?

I would like to see the silicone tube being deformed by the block of rigid PVC.

Thanks a lot
The block of PVC seems warped, but the tube nothing happens. I believe this is wrong. How do I calculate the volume? use the integration of subdomain? What is the variable of integration? I would like to see the silicone tube being deformed by the block of rigid PVC. Thanks a lot

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 11, 2011, 12:14 p.m. EDT
Hi

I see what you have defined on the boundary loads ! That looks correct, but perhaps it's not what you wanted ;)

If you take the third-last image, there you FREE the lateral sides along "z" of your square pushing block you might see a far more important squeeze, since then the block may slide freely

What you see on the last image is the pushing bloc, with the lateral sides fixed, being bend by the applied load/pressure

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I see what you have defined on the boundary loads ! That looks correct, but perhaps it's not what you wanted ;) If you take the third-last image, there you FREE the lateral sides along "z" of your square pushing block you might see a far more important squeeze, since then the block may slide freely What you see on the last image is the pushing bloc, with the lateral sides fixed, being bend by the applied load/pressure -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 11, 2011, 11:19 p.m. EDT

Thanks, your help was very important.

Now, how do I calculate the new volume of the tube (after deformation) ?
Thanks, your help was very important. Now, how do I calculate the new volume of the tube (after deformation) ?

Posted: 1 decade ago May 12, 2011, 4:03 p.m. EDT
Hi

the volume of the tube, or the cross section of the tube interiour ?

for the volume check the forum

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the volume of the tube, or the cross section of the tube interiour ? for the volume check the forum -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 12, 2011, 7:03 p.m. EDT
Hello Ivar,

The cross section of the tube interiour.
Hello Ivar, The cross section of the tube interiour.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 13, 2011, 1:09 a.m. EDT
Hi

in V4, add a Data set cut plane (they exist in v3.5 too), or what I do often is to cut my volume and add a "metrology purpouse" internal boundary, when I make the CAD geometry

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in V4, add a Data set cut plane (they exist in v3.5 too), or what I do often is to cut my volume and add a "metrology purpouse" internal boundary, when I make the CAD geometry -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 13, 2011, 7:59 a.m. EDT

Hello Ivar,

I´ve never done it. Could you send me an example or a tutorial on how to do this ?

Thanks a lot.

Hello Ivar, I´ve never done it. Could you send me an example or a tutorial on how to do this ? Thanks a lot.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 14, 2011, 4:35 a.m. EDT
Hi
that you should be able too, it is getting "old" and unfamiliar for me as I have left 3.5 behind for some time now ;)

take a look

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that you should be able too, it is getting "old" and unfamiliar for me as I have left 3.5 behind for some time now ;) take a look -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.