Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Opticaly modulated laser - Tissue interaction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there ..
I am trying to investigate the frequency modulated laser effect on tissue. I am modulating the laser from 0 -1GHz. and trying to see the insertion and phase loss with certain seperation of laser to photodiode? can this be done in comsol? So i have a laser with certain wavelength that is frequency modulated and a photodiode, both been apart with certain dictance and the media is a human tissue. looking for how much modulated photons i am going to receive and whats their phase information. !!!!

Ebrahim

3 Replies Last Post Mar 2, 2011, 2:24 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 1, 2011, 4:08 p.m. EST
Hi

A challenging model you need there !

I would rather ask myself what is giving amplitude and phase shift of the laser beam on its way trough your tissue ?

If you can express this with a PDE + material data properties with their wavelength and illuminted power relation, then I believe you should be able to feed that into COMSOL.

But if not, then I do not believe COMSOL can give you new inputs, as its basically "only" a powerful numerical solver of PDEs and ODEs so you need to express the physical phenomena first.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi A challenging model you need there ! I would rather ask myself what is giving amplitude and phase shift of the laser beam on its way trough your tissue ? If you can express this with a PDE + material data properties with their wavelength and illuminted power relation, then I believe you should be able to feed that into COMSOL. But if not, then I do not believe COMSOL can give you new inputs, as its basically "only" a powerful numerical solver of PDEs and ODEs so you need to express the physical phenomena first. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 1, 2011, 5:00 p.m. EST
Hi Ivar
Yes i can module the diffusion equation (boltzman Transport) through PDE using helmholtz equation, but i am not sure how to set the input as a laser beam of modulated photons? and then read the s-parameter in both phase and magnitude?

How far can you help in this?

Thanks
Ebrahim

Hi Ivar Yes i can module the diffusion equation (boltzman Transport) through PDE using helmholtz equation, but i am not sure how to set the input as a laser beam of modulated photons? and then read the s-parameter in both phase and magnitude? How far can you help in this? Thanks Ebrahim

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 2, 2011, 2:24 a.m. EST
Hi

unfortunately no, it's too extensive, I have a full time job using COMSOL and my presence here is only on private time, so I restrict myself to short question/answers. Furthermore I have dropped 3.5 now, too much work to use both systems, and 4.1 is very good, and far easier/quicker to use.

It's a nice project though

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi unfortunately no, it's too extensive, I have a full time job using COMSOL and my presence here is only on private time, so I restrict myself to short question/answers. Furthermore I have dropped 3.5 now, too much work to use both systems, and 4.1 is very good, and far easier/quicker to use. It's a nice project though -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.