Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to model crack in comsol with contact pair??

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I made a crack in plate with ellipsoid on surface,but i am not able to create a contact pair at the crack interface.
pls help!!

Thanks!!

Deepak

4 Replies Last Post Aug 26, 2011, 7:48 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 10, 2011, 2:54 p.m. EST
Hi

I'm not sure a "contact pair" is the easiest physics to apply for crack propagation, as a contact pair is a BC tht is free in one directionand compressive in the other, while a crack has some adhesion until you pass a limit (of rupture) and then it passes the (mostly pulling) stress further "down the line". There is an example with a crack propagation in the 3.5 examples, perhaps not yet in the v4, will certainly arrive soon, try an upodate of the mdoel library

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure a "contact pair" is the easiest physics to apply for crack propagation, as a contact pair is a BC tht is free in one directionand compressive in the other, while a crack has some adhesion until you pass a limit (of rupture) and then it passes the (mostly pulling) stress further "down the line". There is an example with a crack propagation in the 3.5 examples, perhaps not yet in the v4, will certainly arrive soon, try an upodate of the mdoel library -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 7, 2011, 9:32 a.m. EDT
Hello Ivar,

I am dealing with a similar problem. In my case two surfaces are adhered strongly and I would like to model the crack propagation in the contact area of the two surfaces when a tensile force is applied to the non adhering surface. I searched in the model library but haven't found any information in this regard except the example suggested by you.

Any suggestions or help would be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Ramgopal
Hello Ivar, I am dealing with a similar problem. In my case two surfaces are adhered strongly and I would like to model the crack propagation in the contact area of the two surfaces when a tensile force is applied to the non adhering surface. I searched in the model library but haven't found any information in this regard except the example suggested by you. Any suggestions or help would be highly appreciated. Best Regards, Ramgopal

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 25, 2011, 11:12 a.m. EDT
Have you found anything on this, such as applying the j-integral?
Have you found anything on this, such as applying the j-integral?

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 26, 2011, 7:48 a.m. EDT
Unfortunately I haven't found anything till now..
Unfortunately I haven't found anything till now..

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.