Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Import a previously solved solution as incident wave for a scattered harmonic propagation model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody. I am currently trying to set up a simulation on light transmission through a single hole in a gold film. Previously, I used a 3D model of 5 layers as periodic nanoholes arrays (attached picture 1), and set the incident light to be plane wave, y-polarized H-field, x-polarized E-field travelling down the negative z-direction. So by setting the side boundaries which are perpendicular to the H -field as PMC, and those perpendicular to the E-field as PEC, I can simulate for a periodic nanohole array. This model worked well for the total field formulation (harmonic propagation).

And now I would like to simulate for a SINGLE hole. So I think additional PMLs are needed to cover up my whole model, including the lateral dimensions. But I realized that I can't define the inner boundaries of PML as continuity, so my result was deemed to be wrong. Another WRONG way to do it is by using scattered field formulation (scattered harmonic propagation) without a port (attached picture 2) -- it is wrong because scattered field formulation only works well for the case where the scatterer (in this case the gold film) is completely enclosed by one type of medium.

Eventually, COMSOL support suggest me to do it in two separate models: First, run the simulation for the periodic array with the gold film but WITHOUT hole (by using the total field model with PEC and PMC), then import the solution as an initial wave setup for the same model (with hole) using the scattered field formulation with PMLs at all sides and scattering boundary condition.

So my question is: how to "import a solution to be the incident wave of a scattered field model"? Did anyone come across this method before? Or does anyone has a better suggestion? Your help is highly appreciated haha...

Thanks in advance!

1 Reply Last Post Nov 25, 2010, 1:31 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Zhi Shiuh Lim

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 25, 2010, 1:31 p.m. EST
Hi Zhi Shiuh Lim,
A really good question.
I'm very interested in how to import solutions of previous simulations. Do you already solve your problem? If you already know how to import, could you please tell me? Thank you very much

Regards
Honghui
Hi Zhi Shiuh Lim, A really good question. I'm very interested in how to import solutions of previous simulations. Do you already solve your problem? If you already know how to import, could you please tell me? Thank you very much Regards Honghui

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.