Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2-dimensional moving boundary diffusion problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model the 2 dimensional diffusion of hydrogen in Zirconium in 2 separate phases, one of phases (delta) that grows into the Zirconium from one of the boundaries using a moving boundary (ALE). I have modeled this sucessfully in the 1D model (see attached file summary report of 1D). In the one dimensional model I started with a thin section of the phase that grows (ie. the initial condition is that only one phase appears however the second phase grows automatically). In the 2D model I wanted to use the same approach using a small rectangle that grows. However I cannot get it to work. Any help would be great.

In the phase that grows the cocn of hydrogen is fixed at both boundaries. I have modelled the other phase (alpha) in a separate domain and its boundary condition at the interface is equal to the discontinuity in concentration between the two domains (N2(delta) - N1(alpha)) * velocity of interface - flux of delta phase. This is a continuous flux on the interface condition.

0 Replies Last Post Jan 26, 2010, 2:46 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Gino Bruni

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.