Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Use of elliptic functions in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have a problem regarding the use of elliptical functions in Comsol.
I plan to use Matlab's "ellipke" function:

www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/ellipke.html

whose syntax is [K,E] = ellipke(M) with M varying between 0 and 1.

In my model, I need both functions of first and second type, i.e. both K and E, to be used in the coefficients of the Physics Settings. The problem is that if I call the function "ellipke" in COMSOL, only K (first type) is
computed.

The use of script seems unavoidable. However, even in the script environment, how can I have both components calculated?

Thank you very much for your help.

Francesco

1 Reply Last Post Jan 27, 2010, 2:16 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 27, 2010, 2:16 a.m. EST
Hi

I'm not sure I understand correctly your point here, but itis clear in the matlab environment you can use all matlab functions, however within the COMSOL GUI's you cannot call independent matlab functions just like that.
But if the elliptic integral is part of your equations cannt you do some algebra and expand it such that you let COMSOL solve it with the rest ?

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I understand correctly your point here, but itis clear in the matlab environment you can use all matlab functions, however within the COMSOL GUI's you cannot call independent matlab functions just like that. But if the elliptic integral is part of your equations cannt you do some algebra and expand it such that you let COMSOL solve it with the rest ? Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.