Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

A FEM Question

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I use COMSOL regularly but I don't know how the finite element method (FEM) works exactly. So, my question might be a bit awkward.

How can COMSOL draw a 2D or 3D Far Field plot for different number of angle values without recalculating the simulation? For example, when I increase the number of angles for a 2D Far Field radiation pattern, it just draws smoother plot and it doesn't need to run the simulation again.

Thank you.

2 Replies Last Post Sep 21, 2020, 8:22 a.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago Sep 21, 2020, 8:05 a.m. EDT

This is actually not really an FEM related question. The far field is calculated by the Stratton-Chu method which performs integrations on the outer boundary of the FEM domain to generate the far field. The method does not directly depend on the resolution of the FE boundary, but of course will be more accurate with a more accurate, i.e. better resolved FE result. You can find an abundance of literature on Stratton-Chu.

Cheer Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
This is actually not really an FEM related question. The far field is calculated by the Stratton-Chu method which performs integrations on the outer boundary of the FEM domain to generate the far field. The method does not directly depend on the resolution of the FE boundary, but of course will be more accurate with a more accurate, i.e. better resolved FE result. You can find an abundance of literature on Stratton-Chu. Cheer Edgar

Posted: 4 years ago Sep 21, 2020, 8:22 a.m. EDT

Thank you Edgar,

As far as I understand, those graphs are plotted with the results calculated by using the solutions of the simulations.

Thank you Edgar, As far as I understand, those graphs are plotted with the results calculated by using the solutions of the simulations.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.