Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can you control fluid flow with a boundary condition?

Rogelio Garcia Fernandez Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, First of all, thank you so much for the time you spent reading/answering my question. [Laminar flow module] I have a pipe with a diameter D,' and I reduce the diameter of the pipe to 'd' for short length, and get back to the original diameter. By doing this procedure, I get to build a control flow valve at the middle of the pipe. I can control the flow by reducing or increasing the value of 'd' ('d' has a max value of 'D'). Instead of changing the geometry every time, is there a way to control the flow at the middle of the pipe with a boundary condition?

1 Reply Last Post Apr 19, 2020, 9:49 a.m. EDT
Rogelio Garcia Fernandez Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Apr 19, 2020, 9:49 a.m. EDT

I found a way! We can use a fluid properties boundary condition for the small domanin that represents the valve. With this boundary, we just had to increase the viscosity to maginitud of 1000. For example when the valve represent half of a circlye on the pipe, half of that domain has big viscosity while the other has the normal viscosity.

I found a way! We can use a fluid properties boundary condition for the small domanin that represents the valve. With this boundary, we just had to increase the viscosity to maginitud of 1000. For example when the valve represent half of a circlye on the pipe, half of that domain has big viscosity while the other has the normal viscosity.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.