Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric Field normal to a Surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi! I have a surface with an inclination of 9 degrees in an axisymmetric system of coordinates. I know that using -Vr and -Vz I get the electric field according to r and z. However, I want to get the electric field that is normal to my surface. How can I calculate this? Thank you very much!

1 Reply Last Post Sep 19, 2019, 9:37 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Sep 19, 2019, 9:37 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Sep 20, 2019, 2:50 p.m. EDT

Hello Sebastian,

In a 2D axisymmetric geometry, the r and z components of the normal vector are nr and nz. On external boundaries, the normal vector points outward. On internal boundaries, if there are any in your geometry, you can use an "arrow line" plot to see which way the normal vector points.

You can use nr and nz in your potprocessing to plot , the scalar product of V with the normal vector, or any other expression of interest to you. But then again, if the boundary in question is a straight line, as it sounds from your post, nr and nz are easily expressed analytically in terms of the cosine and sine of 9 degrees, so in that case you don't even have to use the nr and nz notations.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Sebastian, In a 2D axisymmetric geometry, the r and z components of the normal vector are nr and nz. On external boundaries, the normal vector points outward. On internal boundaries, if there are any in your geometry, you can use an "arrow line" plot to see which way the normal vector points. You can use nr and nz in your potprocessing to plot V.n = Vr*nr+Vz*nz, the scalar product of V with the normal vector, or any other expression of interest to you. But then again, if the boundary in question is a straight line, as it sounds from your post, nr and nz are easily expressed analytically in terms of the cosine and sine of 9 degrees, so in that case you don't even have to use the nr and nz notations. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.