Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with Extremly Thin Object

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I'm a beginner with COMSOL and recently got a problem with my simulation. The modell is a thin copper coil, with the section of . The material is copper and the domain physics is defined as coil/single conductor. I ran the simulation at low frequency(70-100kHz), but the solver cannot converge, no matter how I tried to change or refine the mesh. At higher frequence (from about 2MHz) it worked well.

I guess the reason of it is the skin effect, beacause the skin depth at e.g. 90kHz is 0.22mm, which is bigger than the coil section depth(70um) but smaller than its length(1mm). Is it the reason why the simulation do not converge? And if so, how could I fix it to get the simulation result in low frequence domain? Thanks for your help!

Best regards

2 Replies Last Post Sep 19, 2019, 9:09 a.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago Sep 18, 2019, 6:53 a.m. EDT

Thomas,

it helps to give the air domain a small conductivity like 1 S/m, maybe even lower works too.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Thomas, it helps to give the air domain a small conductivity like 1 S/m, maybe even lower works too. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 5 years ago Sep 19, 2019, 9:09 a.m. EDT

Thomas,

it helps to give the air domain a small conductivity like 1 S/m, maybe even lower works too.

Cheers Edgar

Edgar,

thank you so much, it really helped! Worked well even at 1e-9S/m for simple geometry and the conductivity has to be greater like about 0.1S/m or 1S/m if the geometry is more complex. But it still makes a remarkable difference with the conductivity of the copper. Thanks for your help!

Best Regards Thomas

>Thomas, > >it helps to give the air domain a small conductivity like 1 S/m, maybe even lower works too. > >Cheers >Edgar Edgar, thank you so much, it really helped! Worked well even at 1e-9S/m for simple geometry and the conductivity has to be greater like about 0.1S/m or 1S/m if the geometry is more complex. But it still makes a remarkable difference with the conductivity of the copper. Thanks for your help! Best Regards Thomas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.