Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Re : determining internal forces

Shyamsananth Madhavan

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I have been using COMSOL for last few months , I found it pretty user friendly.
I got a problem of finding internal forces acting on a boundary.

Is surface traction in Boundary integration provide the internal forces??

Please help me.... I cant proceed in work without this??

1 Reply Last Post Nov 14, 2009, 4:51 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 14, 2009, 4:51 a.m. EST
Hi

forces on boundaries is a waste subject. But it is an important one because often the solutions passes through these forces.

Mostly such forces re obtained by gradient integration over the boundary surfaces, but these gradients must be well defined to reach the desired precision.

in comsol V3.5 you have the surface force variales, specifically for this, but they apply only to external constraint surfaces, otherwise you must consider weak form terms (simple to turn on in the "physics" button) but still you need to adapt your model.

I can only suggest to read through the doc (I agree there are a lot to read, and its tough and dense, but here we are rewriting Physics), specially go through the models that apply to your case and your physics, check the discussion forum, the Model exchange, all the examples on the web, and come back here too

Good luck
Ivar
Hi forces on boundaries is a waste subject. But it is an important one because often the solutions passes through these forces. Mostly such forces re obtained by gradient integration over the boundary surfaces, but these gradients must be well defined to reach the desired precision. in comsol V3.5 you have the surface force variales, specifically for this, but they apply only to external constraint surfaces, otherwise you must consider weak form terms (simple to turn on in the "physics" button) but still you need to adapt your model. I can only suggest to read through the doc (I agree there are a lot to read, and its tough and dense, but here we are rewriting Physics), specially go through the models that apply to your case and your physics, check the discussion forum, the Model exchange, all the examples on the web, and come back here too Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.