Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Evaluate accumulated heat energy in a domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello community,

I am working on a "heat tarnsfer in solids" study.

What I need is the accumulated heat energy in a domain. I´m not looking for energy balances etc (which is discussed here https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-calculate-mass-conservation-and-energy-balance/) but only for the energy in ONE domain.

I need to see how the energy content of that domain changes with the time. The unit I want to work with is Ws (or MWh).

Please can anybody help me? In the predefines variables I can´t find the right one.

Thanks!

Alessandro

2 Replies Last Post Jan 19, 2018, 9:14 a.m. EST

Posted: 6 years ago Jan 19, 2018, 6:44 a.m. EST

...to specify my problem...

In the beginning my domain has the temperatur T_0

The Energy Q_0=0

from t_0 to t_1 the from differenz sources heatfluxes camo into my domain. So also the Temperatur changes:

Q_1=rho * V * cP * (T_1-T_0)

Is there a variable to show this in COMSOL?

...to specify my problem... In the beginning my domain has the temperatur T_0 The Energy Q_0=0 from t_0 to t_1 the from differenz sources heatfluxes camo into my domain. So also the Temperatur changes: Q_1=rho * V * cP * (T_1-T_0) Is there a variable to show this in COMSOL?

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago Jan 19, 2018, 9:14 a.m. EST

Alessandro,

you have to do a volume integration of heat density in that specific domain. The way to do that is in the knowledge base article you cited. You may need to use the at() operator to access the solution at t0 and t1.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Alessandro, you have to do a volume integration of heat density in that specific domain. The way to do that is in the knowledge base article you cited. You may need to use the at() operator to access the solution at t0 and t1. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.