Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Moving Wall boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

Does anyone know what the deal is with the moving wall boundary condition in the Navier-Stokes app? What parameters can one enter into the wall velocity? Can you just put numbers for the vector components, or can you put equations with the independent invariables (like coordinate variables, time)? I would like to enter an equation so that the wall "moves" like a propagating wave in time. Also, what does this mean for the mesh? I used to have 3.2 and my method of simulating a moving interior boundary was by moving the mesh using ALE. Thanks for any feedback!

Robert

2 Replies Last Post Sep 23, 2010, 3:54 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 22, 2010, 4:02 p.m. EDT
Hi

well now are you in 3.5 or 4 or ? It helps us others out here to tick the version.

Normally in Comsol you can use any equation anywhere, provided it can be solved with previously defined vriables/parameters, or variables found during the solving process

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi well now are you in 3.5 or 4 or ? It helps us others out here to tick the version. Normally in Comsol you can use any equation anywhere, provided it can be solved with previously defined vriables/parameters, or variables found during the solving process -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 23, 2010, 3:54 p.m. EDT
What is your current version? If it's version 3.5a, I believe that you would use ALE as you described (although I don't have much experience with that version). With the 4.0 version, it sounds like you would need to use the fluid-structure interaction physics (which has ALE mesh motion built in). This requires the additional structural mechanics module or possibly the MEMS module.

What is your current version? If it's version 3.5a, I believe that you would use ALE as you described (although I don't have much experience with that version). With the 4.0 version, it sounds like you would need to use the fluid-structure interaction physics (which has ALE mesh motion built in). This requires the additional structural mechanics module or possibly the MEMS module.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.