Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Two permanent cilindrical magnets in 2D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have question about this quite simple model: Two cilindrical magnets opposing each other.

I have modeled similar things in 3D which was quite straight forward.

I want to compute the force between the magnets.

In 2D however I get error like this:

------

Failed to find a solution:
The relative error (7.9e+002) is greater than the relative tolerance.
Returned solution has not converged.

----

Model attached.

1 Reply Last Post Sep 7, 2010, 2:23 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 7, 2010, 2:23 a.m. EDT
Hi

first of all get the latest update, it has less small bugs

2nd, I'm not so sure the results are wrong, that error message still remains somewhat musterious for me, as the results seem rather coherent.

3rd I would suggest that you use infinite elements to "isolate" your external boundary, and make it somewhat bigger so the flux lines my loop back with minimum losses, you can also make a half circle and not just a square/cylinder of air

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi first of all get the latest update, it has less small bugs 2nd, I'm not so sure the results are wrong, that error message still remains somewhat musterious for me, as the results seem rather coherent. 3rd I would suggest that you use infinite elements to "isolate" your external boundary, and make it somewhat bigger so the flux lines my loop back with minimum losses, you can also make a half circle and not just a square/cylinder of air -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.