Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to open model files before 3.5a with 4.0a

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

there are some model on www.comsol.com/academic/resources/courses/plawsky/
that I want to learn. But when I open them in 4.0a there show the error:error in opening zip file.
I think they are modeled in a earlier version ?
And how can I deal with it ?Must install a earlier version?

6 Replies Last Post Oct 15, 2010, 8:55 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 22, 2010, 4:35 p.m. EDT
Hi

Today you need to get it into a v3.5a version and then saved it as a 3.5a file, and then import it into V4

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Today you need to get it into a v3.5a version and then saved it as a 3.5a file, and then import it into V4 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 6, 2010, 4:42 p.m. EDT
If you look under "COMSOL Commands" in the Installation and User's Guide, there's a command to convert pre 3.5a models that you might want to try out.

comsol convertpre35a

I've never used it, and you probably have to either enter it from the command line or make an icon.

If you look under "COMSOL Commands" in the Installation and User's Guide, there's a command to convert pre 3.5a models that you might want to try out. comsol convertpre35a I've never used it, and you probably have to either enter it from the command line or make an icon.

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 13, 2010, 12:07 p.m. EDT
Hi,
I also have the same problem. But I am confused where to type this command: comsol convertpre35a and how to run it? Is it possible to choose which file of V3.5 I want to convert and to choose the path where I want to save the converted file?
If someone knows how to do it, I would be very glad.
Hi, I also have the same problem. But I am confused where to type this command: comsol convertpre35a and how to run it? Is it possible to choose which file of V3.5 I want to convert and to choose the path where I want to save the converted file? If someone knows how to do it, I would be very glad.

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 14, 2010, 3:43 a.m. EDT
Well. I am facing the problem that for RF module of V.4.0a, you cannot directly open the model created by old V.3.5a. I have passed this bug to local supporter but still no response. Its kind of wired that you cannot use new version of COMSOL to open old one.

David
Well. I am facing the problem that for RF module of V.4.0a, you cannot directly open the model created by old V.3.5a. I have passed this bug to local supporter but still no response. Its kind of wired that you cannot use new version of COMSOL to open old one. David

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 14, 2010, 5:51 p.m. EDT
Hi
not all features are there in 4.0a, it's better in V4.1 but probably last compatible features even later. But also COMSOL has cleaned up a few things so its not 100% possible to convert everything I believe.

I systematically rebuild my models from scratch in V4, mostly by having a 3.5 or a second V4 with the translated file as example, its rather quickly done for most models, and there are new and improvesd ways to do things in V4 that were not there before.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi not all features are there in 4.0a, it's better in V4.1 but probably last compatible features even later. But also COMSOL has cleaned up a few things so its not 100% possible to convert everything I believe. I systematically rebuild my models from scratch in V4, mostly by having a 3.5 or a second V4 with the translated file as example, its rather quickly done for most models, and there are new and improvesd ways to do things in V4 that were not there before. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 15, 2010, 8:55 a.m. EDT

Hi,
I also have the same problem. But I am confused where to type this command: comsol convertpre35a and how to run it? Is it possible to choose which file of V3.5 I want to convert and to choose the path where I want to save the converted file?
If someone knows how to do it, I would be very glad.

I was incorrect in my previous post, having version 3.5a installed is required to use the conversion tool.
www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1080/

How you enter the commands is somewhat platform dependent but the installation and operations guide has it documented.
[QUOTE] Hi, I also have the same problem. But I am confused where to type this command: comsol convertpre35a and how to run it? Is it possible to choose which file of V3.5 I want to convert and to choose the path where I want to save the converted file? If someone knows how to do it, I would be very glad. [/QUOTE] I was incorrect in my previous post, having version 3.5a installed is required to use the conversion tool. http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1080/ How you enter the commands is somewhat platform dependent but the installation and operations guide has it documented.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.