Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Effective index in magnetoplasmon nanostructure

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to model a three-layer plasmon structure formed by gold surrounded by two layer of YIG (magneto-optical material) at 1500 nm. I want to obtain the corresponding effective mode index for the wave propagating along z direction and with magnetization along x direction. The issue is that mode analysis are supported only by perpendicular waves mode application. Moreover, only hybrid waves support gyroelectric materials and I looking for TM waves (plasmon propagation wich magnetization previously mentioned are TM waves).
Another question: perpendicular waves-hybrid mode supports only magnetization in Z direction, how could I magnetize in X direction (normal to the direction of propagation)?
I'm using version 3.4.

Thanks for the help,

Anderson Silva

4 Replies Last Post Aug 14, 2010, 11:50 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 13, 2010, 4:07 a.m. EDT
I don't get this; if you have 2D waveguide, which appears to be from your description, why are you using Perpendicular waves module which is essentially meant for 3D waveguides?

Switch to boundary mode analysis, if it is there in 3.4, and that should be able to do the trick for you. And although it has been a long time since I took a look at the equation in rf user guide but I suppose that hybrid mode module should be able to handle all cases physical possible under your geometry.

All the best
I don't get this; if you have 2D waveguide, which appears to be from your description, why are you using Perpendicular waves module which is essentially meant for 3D waveguides? Switch to boundary mode analysis, if it is there in 3.4, and that should be able to do the trick for you. And although it has been a long time since I took a look at the equation in rf user guide but I suppose that hybrid mode module should be able to handle all cases physical possible under your geometry. All the best

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 13, 2010, 11:39 a.m. EDT
Boundary mode analysis does not allow anisotropic full material in boundary settings and subdomain settings is not activated for this application. I think that modeling of a 2D problem is a suitable task for in-plane waves, however, there is no mode analysis and anisotropic settings for this case. This is the reason I use perpendicular waves. The great issue is that the last application allows mode analysis with magneto-optical materials magnetized only in Z direction and magnetoplasmonic materials have more interesting phenomena for integrated optics with transversal magnetization

Thanks for the help,

Anderson Silva
Boundary mode analysis does not allow anisotropic full material in boundary settings and subdomain settings is not activated for this application. I think that modeling of a 2D problem is a suitable task for in-plane waves, however, there is no mode analysis and anisotropic settings for this case. This is the reason I use perpendicular waves. The great issue is that the last application allows mode analysis with magneto-optical materials magnetized only in Z direction and magnetoplasmonic materials have more interesting phenomena for integrated optics with transversal magnetization Thanks for the help, Anderson Silva

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 14, 2010, 4:45 a.m. EDT
I remember having felt exactly like that, but guess you would have to live up with it just as I did in the end.

If your problem involves a 2D cross-section and a third dimension of propagation (say z), then you are fine using Perpendicular waves module because that is what it is meant for. Otherwise, you can only use boundary mode analysis and that unfortunately cannot handle anisotropy. And by the way, for boundary mode analysis there are no sub-domain settings because in 2D geometry (hence 1D cross-section), you don't need subdomains to define your materials for mode analysis.
I remember having felt exactly like that, but guess you would have to live up with it just as I did in the end. If your problem involves a 2D cross-section and a third dimension of propagation (say z), then you are fine using Perpendicular waves module because that is what it is meant for. Otherwise, you can only use boundary mode analysis and that unfortunately cannot handle anisotropy. And by the way, for boundary mode analysis there are no sub-domain settings because in 2D geometry (hence 1D cross-section), you don't need subdomains to define your materials for mode analysis.

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 14, 2010, 11:50 a.m. EDT
Perpendicular waves application is the way to perform mode analysis of multilayer guiding structures, rectangular or cylindrical symmetry. Unfortunately, such application does not support Voigt configuration (magnetization perpendicular to direction of propagation) when magneto-optical materials are involved.
Perpendicular waves application is the way to perform mode analysis of multilayer guiding structures, rectangular or cylindrical symmetry. Unfortunately, such application does not support Voigt configuration (magnetization perpendicular to direction of propagation) when magneto-optical materials are involved.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.