Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Any clever tricks to smooth intermediate results?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I know that COMSOL doesn't really like to integrate, but loves to solve differential equations. So if you want to compute averages, etc, sometimes the simplest is to cast into an ODE and solve that.

My problem at hand relates to heat-transfer-coefficient. I can compute it, no problem, but it is "noisy", so I'd like to apply a smoothing condition to it before using it in the rest of the problem so that the noise doesn't keep propagating into rest of the computations.

Something like:

new_h(x) = 1/(2D) integral (x-D)^(x+D) h(x) dx

for some suitable D, or maybe a convolution with a bump function instead of a step.

Can you think of how to get that result from COMSOL? {This needs to be done inside the solving module, not as a post-processing step}.

Thanks, John

1 Reply Last Post Aug 13, 2010, 11:55 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 13, 2010, 11:55 a.m. EDT

Hi, I know that COMSOL doesn't really like to integrate, but loves to solve differential equations. So if you want to compute averages, etc, sometimes the simplest is to cast into an ODE and solve that.

Hi John,

To bump the topic up and learn a bit more, can you elaborate on how you manage to do this? It sounds quite interesting.

Best,
Danial
[QUOTE] Hi, I know that COMSOL doesn't really like to integrate, but loves to solve differential equations. So if you want to compute averages, etc, sometimes the simplest is to cast into an ODE and solve that. [/QUOTE] Hi John, To bump the topic up and learn a bit more, can you elaborate on how you manage to do this? It sounds quite interesting. Best, Danial

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.