Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling Microwave heating

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello
I am trying to model Microwave heating-structure interaction and keep getting errors:

Failed to evaluate expression.
- Expression: conj(sign((mod1.mh.Pin/mod1.mh.pModeFlow 1)))
Failed to evaluate variable.
- Variable: mod1.mh.pModeFlow 1
- Defined as: mod1.mh.intport1(if((imag(mod1.mh.alphaport 1)==0),1,(((real(((mod1.mh.tE0modex 1*conj(mod1.mh.tH0modey 1))-(conj(mod1.mh.tH0modex 1)*mod1.mh.tE0modey 1)))*mod1.mh.nz)+((real(((mod1.mh.tE0modey 1*conj(mod1.mh.tH0modez 1))-(mod1.mh.tE0modez 1*conj(mod1.mh.tH0modey 1))))*mod1.mh.nx)+(mod1.mh.ny*real(((conj(mod1.mh.tH0modex 1)*mod1.mh.tE0modez 1)+(mod1.mh.tE0modex 1*(-conj(mod1.mh.tH0modez 1))))))))*0.5)))
- Expression: mod1.mh.intport1(if((imag(mod1.mh.alphaport 1)==0),1,(((real(((mod1.mh.tE0modex 1*conj(mod1.mh.tH0modey 1))-(conj(mod1.mh.tH0modex 1)*mod1.mh.tE0modey 1)))*mod1.mh.nz)+((real(((mod1.mh.tE0modey 1*conj(mod1.mh.tH0modez 1))-(mod1.mh.tE0modez 1*conj(mod1.mh.tH0modey 1))))*mod1.mh.nx)+(mod1.mh.ny*real(((conj(mod1.mh.tH0modex 1)*mod1.mh.tE0modez 1)+(mod1.mh.tE0modex 1*(-conj(mod1.mh.tH0modez 1))))))))*0.5)))
- Expression: if((imag(mod1.mh.alphaport 1)==0),1,(((real(((mod1.mh.tE0modex 1*conj(mod1.mh.tH0modey 1))-(conj(mod1.mh.tH0modex 1)*mod1.mh.tE0modey 1)))*mod1.mh.nz)+((real(((mod1.mh.tE0modey 1*conj(mod1.mh.tH0modez 1))-(mod1.mh.tE0modez 1*conj(mod1.mh.tH0modey 1))))*mod1.mh.nx)+(mod1.mh.ny*real(((conj(mod1.mh.tH0modex 1)*mod1.mh.tE0modez 1)+(mod1.mh.tE0modex 1*(-conj(mod1.mh.tH0modez 1))))))))*0.5))
- Expression: if((imag(mod1.mh.alphaport 1)==0),1,(((real(((mod1.mh.tE0modex 1*conj(mod1.mh.tH0modey 1))-(conj(mod1.mh.tH0modex 1)*mod1.mh.tE0modey 1)))*mod1.mh.nz)+((real(((mod1.mh.tE0modey 1*conj(mod1.mh.tH0modez 1))-(mod1.mh.tE0modez 1*conj(mod1.mh.tH0modey 1))))*mod1.mh.nx)+(mod1.mh.ny*real(((conj(mod1.mh.tH0modex 1)*mod1.mh.tE0modez 1)+(mod1.mh.tE0modex 1*(-conj(mod1.mh.tH0modez 1))))))))*0.5))
Failed to evaluate operator.
- Operator: if
- Geometry: 1
- Boundary: 1
- Expression: imag(mod1.mh.alphaport 1)
Failed to evaluate variable.
- Variable: mod1.mh.alphaport 1
- Defined as: sqrt((((pi*11.627906976744187)^2)+(-(mod1.mh.k^2))))
Attempt to evaluate real square root of negative number.
- Function: sqrt

Does anyone know what this means. I am new to comsol and this is definitely not an easy task for me.

Thank you

2 Replies Last Post Jul 31, 2010, 9:31 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 30, 2010, 7:44 a.m. EDT
Hi

I agree that these error messages are rather complex to read, COMSOL could do better (and will probably in the future versions). Normally those should be red from the end towards the beginning, so the initial error of the chain (the way I udnerstand it is) your "mod1.mh.k" that is too large and gives a negative srt() function hence an "error trap". You can follow where it is used by reading themn from the bottom towards the top

It's obviously linked to your definition of alpha of port 1 in your model

To better understand where the variables are used turn on the "equations" in the "Options>Preferences"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I agree that these error messages are rather complex to read, COMSOL could do better (and will probably in the future versions). Normally those should be red from the end towards the beginning, so the initial error of the chain (the way I udnerstand it is) your "mod1.mh.k" that is too large and gives a negative srt() function hence an "error trap". You can follow where it is used by reading themn from the bottom towards the top It's obviously linked to your definition of alpha of port 1 in your model To better understand where the variables are used turn on the "equations" in the "Options>Preferences" -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 31, 2010, 9:31 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar
Thanks for your reply,
I would try to understand where the variables are used turn on the "equations".
Hi Ivar Thanks for your reply, I would try to understand where the variables are used turn on the "equations".

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.