Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can't use refractive index mode for displacement field model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I've just started working with Comsol 4a. Under "RF" module, I'm using "electromagnetic waves". I want to use "Refractive Index" mode for the "Displacement Field" settings. Once I select this mode and i want to go back and modify material properties i get an ERROR the moment i click on the material that I want to modify.

I was wondering if this is a problem for everybody or I am doing things wrong. Thanks!

1 Reply Last Post Jul 21, 2010, 2:27 a.m. EDT
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 21, 2010, 2:27 a.m. EDT
Hi,

You're not doing anything wrong. This is a known bug in 4.0a, which has been fixed and will be included in a COMSOL 4.0a software update that will be available for download soon. In the meantime, possible workarounds include:

* Adding the refractive index to the material properties before switching to using the refractive index as the displacement field model. To do so, right-click "Refractive Index" and select "Add to Material" under "Electromagnetics Models" in the "Material Properties" section of the Material node's Settings window.

* Using user-defined values for the refractive index directly in the Wave Equation, Electric node's Settings window.

Best regards,

Magnus Ringh
COMSOL
Hi, You're not doing anything wrong. This is a known bug in 4.0a, which has been fixed and will be included in a COMSOL 4.0a software update that will be available for download soon. In the meantime, possible workarounds include: * Adding the refractive index to the material properties before switching to using the refractive index as the displacement field model. To do so, right-click "Refractive Index" and select "Add to Material" under "Electromagnetics Models" in the "Material Properties" section of the Material node's Settings window. * Using user-defined values for the refractive index directly in the Wave Equation, Electric node's Settings window. Best regards, Magnus Ringh COMSOL

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.