Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Natural Convection

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am having trouble getting a a natural convection problem to converge, and I am just wondering if anyone could help me with understanding any possible reasons for it not converging (As I am reletively new to the software).

I am using fluid properties which are dependant on temperature, however the density variation with respect to temperature is very large over a large temperature difference, and i am wondering if this may be the problem, as I am using weakly compressible flow with general heat transfer modules on COMSOL 3.5a.

I know this is a general question, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Replies Last Post Jul 20, 2010, 4:56 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 19, 2010, 5:57 p.m. EDT
Hi Mark,

Have you tried providing a point constraint on the pressure? I have found that to (sometimes) be necessary in convection problems.

Paul
Hi Mark, Have you tried providing a point constraint on the pressure? I have found that to (sometimes) be necessary in convection problems. Paul

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 20, 2010, 4:56 a.m. EDT
Thank you very much for your reply.

I did in fact set the point constraint for the pressure. That tripped me up at the begining. It turns out that it must be modelled using transient solver, and from the simulations I have ran, seems to be working fine. Very time consuming though.
Thank you very much for your reply. I did in fact set the point constraint for the pressure. That tripped me up at the begining. It turns out that it must be modelled using transient solver, and from the simulations I have ran, seems to be working fine. Very time consuming though.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.