Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Rotating machinery not converging

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I am working with a rotating impeller in a cylindrical tank (chemical engineering module/rotating machinery). This is a 2D model, so it looks like a cross in a circle. Here are the parameters I'm using:

rho (density) = 1000 kg/m^3
eta (viscosity) = 1e-2 Pa*s
rpm = 14 1/min

If I increase the density or the rpm, or if I decrease the viscosity, then the model does not converge, saying that it didn't find consistent initial conditions. Eventually, I need to model a fluid with density of about 2000 kg/m^3, viscosity of 1.2e-3 and rpm of about 500.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Sylvana

1 Reply Last Post Jul 15, 2010, 7:28 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 15, 2010, 7:28 a.m. EDT
is it 2D axial symmetry? Using turbulence model? If not: Try k-eps

Higher density, higher rpm, lower viscosity leads to higher Re-Number -> turbulence increases.

Anyway, a denser mesh is always a good answer to not-reaching-convergence-problems
is it 2D axial symmetry? Using turbulence model? If not: Try k-eps Higher density, higher rpm, lower viscosity leads to higher Re-Number -> turbulence increases. Anyway, a denser mesh is always a good answer to not-reaching-convergence-problems

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.