Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thin Low Permittivity Gap

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I´m modeling a parallel plate capacitive accelerometer in COMSOL v4.0. One of the difficulties I´m facing now is that I can not mesh the 2um gap between the botton and the top electrodes (silicon), the dielectric material is air. During the mesh generation I always get an error "Internal error in boundary respecting".

There are a few discussions on how to mesh thin geometries, however I could not figure out a way to solve my problem. I realised today that in the electrostatic interface there is a thing called "Thin Low Permittivity Gap", which probably does exactly what I was intending to do. However there is only a few lines of explanation about this feature in the AC/DC user´s guide. Can anyone help me with that? One of my doubts is whether or not it is still necessary to include a "block" in the geometry to represent the dielectric.

I based my model on the 3.5 tutorial model "comb_drive_2d" with the necessary adaptations to my 3D geometry.

Thanks

0 Replies Last Post Jul 14, 2010, 2:35 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Andre Teves

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.