Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

RF module - nano particle absorption - defining incoming k vector

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
a basic question:
I am using RF , emw module, and want to simulate the absorption by a gold nano particle.

I am getting an error: "failed to evaluate variable: mod1.emw.k"

so i think its a syntax / definition problem. How do I define the incoming field wave length?
on comsol 3.5 when you define lambda0 , k0 is defined. what and where should i define in comsol 4.0 to set my background field?

(I have been doing something like this " E0*exp(-j*emw.K0*Z) " and defining lambda0 in the global parameters . I should also say that i get this error also with the background field set to 0. finally I know about the mie scattering model).

many many thanks,

JD

2 Replies Last Post Jul 14, 2010, 4:44 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 13, 2010, 12:27 p.m. EDT
Hi

I'm not sure what to comment, apart check carefully the names and the uppercase/lowercase issue. And learn the COMSOL internals via the show equations options in V4, or the physics Expression Settings in V3.5.
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure what to comment, apart check carefully the names and the uppercase/lowercase issue. And learn the COMSOL internals via the show equations options in V4, or the physics Expression Settings in V3.5. Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 14, 2010, 4:44 p.m. EDT
In comsol 4.0, you can set the value of frequency in the menu study/solve sequence/stationary/parametric. If you set the frequency, then you can calculate the wavelength by lambda=c/f. [c is the speed of light, f is frequency].

The background feild can be set in the memu of Electromagnetic waves by right clicking this menu.

Hope it is helpful for you.

Good luck!
In comsol 4.0, you can set the value of frequency in the menu study/solve sequence/stationary/parametric. If you set the frequency, then you can calculate the wavelength by lambda=c/f. [c is the speed of light, f is frequency]. The background feild can be set in the memu of Electromagnetic waves by right clicking this menu. Hope it is helpful for you. Good luck!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.